replacement for SRAM X4

nik_c
nik_c Posts: 61
edited April 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi,

I am replacing my front and rear deraileurs on my Carera Vulcan from the stock SRAM x4 to SRAM X9. That seems to be all compatible - I got the parts, not installed yet, but from what I am reading and hearing there should be no issues.

Where I am struggling a little is finding a replacement for the ageing SRAM X4 shifters. Initially I did not plan to change them also (was going as far as changing the gear cables with the deraileurs), but am now thinking about it. If I am working on them anyway I might as well change them.

But: - what with? It is the shifters that determine the exact placement of the deraileurs and I assume I cannot just go for the SRAM X9 shifters - especially the right hand / 9-speed one, as I only have a 8-speed cassette (which I am not going to change). The left hand /

Is the best option then to just get another pair of X4's ? They are cheap and cheerful (lasted almost 5 years, but are getting cranky now).

By the way, can I open them in the first place? I have not started work this yet, and the three little screws look like they in fact might be studs (or are my eyes letting me down already and they do have an internal hex thread)? I would need to open to thread the new cable in and also to maybe clean them out and service them

Thank you.

Nik

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Any SRAM Xx (where x is a number) 8 speed shifters, I'd look for a cheap pair of X7's on ebay, that or get a nine speed cassette and chain and buy 9 speed shifters and upgrade at the same time!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • zx6man
    zx6man Posts: 1,092
    I just got an X5 as it was quite cheap and shifted much better than the x4
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Look on ebay for X9 or X0 shifters. I have got two sets of X0 shifters on ebay new and unused for around £75 per pair.
    Some people have a preference for shimano and change shifter and mech before riding a new bike.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    X0 8speed? Under £75 on a Vulcan? I think you've missed the target audiance!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Not sure about x4 shifters but be wary of opening up sram shifters. Contain springs that can go flying ...... google before messing with them.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    The Rookie wrote:
    X0 8speed? Under £75 on a Vulcan? I think you've missed the target audiance!

I missed the 8 speed bit.
  • Cqc
    Cqc Posts: 951
    Not sure about x4 shifters but be wary of opening up sram shifters. Contain springs that can go flying ...... google before messing with them.
    Indeed. I learnt that the hard way, and the shifter was ruined forever. There's a rubber plug to change the cable.
  • nik_c
    Hi thanks all for your suggestions!

here is what I ended up doing - maybe a little unexpected, but it will work....
    As the rear and front deraileurs I got a re SRAM X9, I decided to upgrade the 3 speed left hand front deraileru shifter to X9 as well. Got that from Halfords for now. This was needed most urgently as the original X4 had seized up already.

By the way - Halfords were real good on this, as that shifter is advertised on their site as £44.99, but in store was at £61.xx so I ordered in store through the site and they let me pick it up straight away (rather than waiting a few days). The guys in store where a little taken aback by the steep difference in price between on-line and in-store also).

In time I will upgrade to 9-speed in the rear also, but for now I am keeping the X9 rear deraileur and the X4 shifter (as that still works fine).

I don't mind upgrading to good components on the Vulcan as the only thing that is now still original is the fork and as it is a limited edition vulcan -with disc bakes - that are now avid bb7's rather than 5's (I don't like the hassle of fluid brakes) they are good enough to keep them for longer and still in good shape (as opposed to the drive train, head set, saddle, wheels, tyres, etc that I so far replaced and upgraded).

Thanks again and Happy Easter all!

Nik C
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    You paid £45 for a front gear shifter?
  • nik_c
    Yes.
    thought that will get me going on the Easter weekend.
    but no.
    was wrong.
    chain reaction cycles sent the wrong type of front deraileur, so could not complete.
    so there.