New Wheels Please

johneborall
johneborall Posts: 3
edited April 2014 in Road buying advice
Hi everyone.

Looking to upgrade my wheels in the next month, but there are so many options out there I thought I would get some opinions. I currently use the wheel set that came with my bike (De Rosa R838) - are Falcrum 7s - which do the job, but after 18 months of use and given the amount of riding i'm now doing, I can justify the treat a little treat.

My view on this is that if i'm going to upgrade the wheels I may as well do it properly, but that being said, I don't have an unlimited budget (about £800). I've been looking at the Falcrum Racing 1 and Zero, and also the Campag Bullet, but it would be great to canvas peoples thoughts on these, and perhaps even have some other suggestions.

I ride with a club and regularly participate in sportives (60 - 100 miles). At this stage i'm not racing, but it's a new club and something we're talking about getting into. I'm looking for a quality all-rounder that wouldn't be out of place if I start doing entry level racing.

Thanks for any help!

John

Comments

• slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    If budget is limited have a think about how often you could afford to replace the wheels.

Are you going to insure for riding/racing? You'd need to consider the price for that too.
  • holiver
    holiver Posts: 729
    Zondas are always mentioned in threads like these, along with handbuilts, usually around the Archetype rim.

Making use of the search facility will give you loads more info.
  • DiscoBoy
    DiscoBoy Posts: 905
    How much do you weigh?
    holiver wrote:
    Zondas are always mentioned in threads like these, along with handbuilts, usually around the Archetype rim.

Making use of the search facility will give you loads more info.

Archetypes with a budget of £800?...

Here's a nice spec for £625. You could play around with that configurator to see where you can improve it.
    viewtopic.php?f=40042&t=12964664&p=18813980
    Red bikes are the fastest.
  • rnarito
    rnarito Posts: 20
    At that price, the Fulcrum 1's would be great! A couple of other options that are around that price...
    Shimano Dura Ace C24
    Mavic Ksyrium SLS
  • Father Faff
    Father Faff Posts: 1,176
    Campag Shamal or (cheaper) Eurus are supposed to be good...
    Commencal Meta 5.5.1
    Scott CR1
  • Thanks all for the help, been very useful!

Am I right in thinking that the Dura Ace dont work so well with a Campag group set?

Cheers

John
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    Thanks all for the help, been very useful!

Am I right in thinking that the Dura Ace dont work so well with a Campag group set?

Cheers

John

They don't work at all. However, if you are on 11 speed, you can fit an Ultegra 11 speed cassette and it should work flawlessly with your Campag 11, Shimano chain
    left the forum March 2023
  • mattmaximus
    mattmaximus Posts: 132
    Two suggestions - archetype on record hubs you won't regret and will leave you plenty of change.

Alternatively, if you want a leftfield suggestion, maybe get these http://www.wiggle.co.uk/powertap-g3-alloy-clincher-wheelset/ and a campag freehub (you'd be able to sell the shimano freehub to anyone wanting 11speed, i think).

Power has changed my riding much more than fancy wheels. I'm still slow, but now I'm much better informed as to why. :D
  • gazeds
    gazeds Posts: 182
    Slowbike wrote:
    If budget is limited have a think about how often you could afford to replace the wheels.

Are you going to insure for riding/racing? You'd need to consider the price for that too.
    It's not as if he's going to have to replace them anually.