Ultegra Di2 or SHimano rs81 c50

MCox432
MCox432 Posts: 12
edited April 2014 in Road buying advice
So im saving up some money to spend on my bike and i have chosen to spend it on either ultegra di2 6770 gearset or the rs81 c50's
I already have the rs81 c35's so I am not sure if I should buy the wheels or upgrade my shifting.
I race crits at national level so i dont want to have too heavy wheels because there is a lot of excelerating
please can you give advice on which would be the best upgrade
thanks

Comments

• Not sure i'd want to be replacing any Di2 parts after a crash….

Whats your current gruppo
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • Bar Shaker
    Bar Shaker Posts: 2,313
    I haven't raced crits but would imagine the acceleration of out the bends would mean you need to keep rims as light as possible.
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    If you already have RS81 C35 then C50 won't be much of an upgrade, indeed if you're doing any climbing they may well be a downgrade.

What groupset do you have at the moment?
  • MCox432
    my current groupo is ultegra 6700 so I would just be looking to upgrade the shifters etc

there are some climbs in the circuits I do and the national champs is on a circuit with a hill but also has a fast down hill and flat section
  • markhewitt1978
    Personally I would buy neither and keep the money in my pocket. However if you really must spend it (proceeds from crime which has to be spent or something :D) then Di2.
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    save your money, Di2 is excellent, but if as the others say, you have an off the rear mechs are never cheap, nor are the spares generally for Di2.... stick to mechanical and save ££££ , also if you are to go DI2 get the 6770 stuff but get a 6870 rear deraileur, if you wanted to go 11 speed. you'd have fewer gaps in your gears, which really makes a difference to me.

oh and the only c50's to have are the proper ones, the RS81's are notoriously heavy and don't spin up any where near as well. if you are crit racing stick to the 35's as they spin up everso slightly quicker, or go handbuilt 30mm (non box section) as they are just as good and lighter than the RS81's... and will go just as quick.
  • MCox432
    Thanks for that feedback, I suppose another option to me is to upgrade to 11 speed mechanical ultegra which would be cheaper than both the other upgrades
  • markhewitt1978
    Yeah I would say that would be a worthwhile investment.
  • supermurph09
    supermurph09 Posts: 2,471
    Check Merlin out, just seen an email for free RS81's with Di2
  • MCox432
    I suppose in the long run getting the 6800 instead of upgrading to 10 speed Di2 will mean I can later upgrade it to 11 speed Di2.

I can't see anything on merlin cycles
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    Also check Merlin for Dura-ace 9001, shifters are £234 and if you add the rear and front derailleurs you'll pick it all up for £408.
  • MCox432
    that would be an upgrade which would require me to get all the other parts for the groupset so wont be a good upgrade
  • MisterMuncher
    MisterMuncher Posts: 1,302
    6800 Mechanical is genuinely excellent, though the braking and front shifting are much more significant upgrades than the 11th cog. Prices are a bit silly for it at the moment, and with 5800 105 around the corner, consumables like chains and cassettes become that bit more affordable too. You've already got a compatible wheelset.

The Merlin email has an offer for a Bryton Rider40 with HRM and Cadence for £130, too, which is bargainous.