Leisure Lakes

Johnson.
Johnson. Posts: 18
edited April 2014 in MTB buying advice
Has anybody ever bought a bike from here ?

Nobody seems to have a good word to say about Halfords when it comes to bikes. So how about this place as an alternative ?

Many thanks,

Ben

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Read some more threads and I think you'll find Halfords bikes are recommended a lot. Plenty of good words, just give them a check over before riding, which you should do with any bike anyway.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • People tend to be quick to complain and less quick to praise. 3 Halfords bikes & all fine.
  • antfly
    antfly Posts: 3,276
    To get back to the question, I have a road bike from Leisure Lakes and my dad has a Mtb, some of the staff are ignorant kids these days but they have proper mechanics, in the Lancs branch anyway, and you can test ride the MTB bikes on their trails. Definitely in a different league to Halfords.
    Smarter than the average bear.
  • mr joey
    mr joey Posts: 427
    Bought my stumpy evo from my local LL service is spot on all the time i go in advice etc and the bike is awesome also
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    Have bought three bikes from the Wolves shop. They get obscure parts for my Cannondale and Scott and swapped my Commencal frame very quickly. Good folks no complaints
  • I got my bike from LL in Daventry the other week. Nice guys, BIG shop with lots of bikes and toys oh and a cafe! They seem to know their stuff and I haven't experienced the ignorant kids but rather polite and interested people of all ages working there.

PS if LL are watching can I win the Friday give away pppplllllleeeeeaaaaaasssssseeeee
    Cube Sting 140 Pro 29er 2014
    Specialized Hockhopper SL comp 2011
    Carrera Vulcan 2009 - retired
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I know of 3 Halfords I'd buy a bike from without worry (If I ever actually buy a new one!) and only 1 I wouldn't at all......OK that is one too many but generally I think there are more good than bad, though not many are 'excellent'.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    My experience with Halfords and LL is dont go in at the weekend, you might get a weekend lad/lass who knows everything about nothing and has the attitude to go with it. Go during the week especially in term time and you will get someone who actually knows what they are talking about and will go the bit extra to help.

I have had good service from both when I followed this rule.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • daveski12
    daveski12 Posts: 158
    Bought a bike from LL and Halfords (both MTB, both on C2W)

Can't say I noticed much difference between them, service wise. Halfords were more willing to do a deal as Leisure Lakes would only let me use the voucher at full retail RRP.
  • Johnson.
    I got my bike from LL in Daventry the other week. Nice guys, BIG shop with lots of bikes and toys oh and a cafe! They seem to know their stuff and I haven't experienced the ignorant kids but rather polite and interested people of all ages working there.

PS if LL are watching can I win the Friday give away pppplllllleeeeeaaaaaasssssseeeee

This is the exact store i would be going to. May have to pop in and see whats what. Must admit though... i have not seen much that tickles my fancy on the LL website within my price range.

Swaying towards the Carrera Vulcan now from halfords after looking at the Calibre two.two and finding that the nearest store that has 1 in stock is 90 mile away :(
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    oxoman wrote:
    and the fact they sell everything from car stuff to camping stuff these days.
    Except Bike hut staff only work in bike hut as a rule.......
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    Johnson. wrote:
    I got my bike from LL in Daventry the other week. Nice guys, BIG shop with lots of bikes and toys oh and a cafe! They seem to know their stuff and I haven't experienced the ignorant kids but rather polite and interested people of all ages working there.

This is the exact store i would be going to. May have to pop in and see whats what. Must admit though... i have not seen much that tickles my fancy on the LL website within my price range.

Swaying towards the Carrera Vulcan now from halfords after looking at the Calibre two.two and finding that the nearest store that has 1 in stock is 90 mile away :(

Compared to most bike shops the Daventry LL store is a lot bigger and very well stocked. The guys there are helpful and friendly.
  • with a bit of basic knowledge I'd take a high spec Boardman over another bike at the same price and just learn how to maintain the bike. Just makes sence with the components on a carreras or a Boardman or voodoo. As opposed to a trek giant or specialized for eg. Most of basic maintainence is simpler than you think especially with park tools this forum and YouTube.
  • Johnson. wrote:

There's a halfords right next door to the LL Dav store so pop in there too!
    Cube Sting 140 Pro 29er 2014
    Specialized Hockhopper SL comp 2011
    Carrera Vulcan 2009 - retired
  • Johnson.
    There's a halfords right next door to the LL Dav store so pop in there too!

Never ended up going into LL in the end. Bought the Carrera Vulcan from halfords instead. Off out on it soon but i am very pleased so far :)