Bearing puller size?

Coxy_UK
Coxy_UK Posts: 297
edited April 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
I wish to replace the bearings JNK GE8C on my Nerve and so need to but a bearing puller.

I see Superstar has this: http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/product_ ... cts_id=529

From the drop down menu you need to choose a size. Anyone have any idea please?

Cheers
_______________________________________________________________________________________
Tides of sin draw tighter and brighter, hours become heavier and weighted, and the shadows smile...dark and wild.
<font color="blue">My Stumpy FSR Pic 1</font id="blue">
<font color="red">My Stumpy FSR Pic 2</font id="red">

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Measure your bearings.
    OD & ID.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I think 688. According to this they are 16x8mm.

http://www.bearingcenter.net/skf_bearin ... -bearings/

But if not I accept no responsibility for your lack of google fu.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    You will have fun trying to get the spherical bearing out with one of those they are installed with a press. Spherical bearings are virtually life of the frame jobbies. If they have seized a good soak in gt85 (or similar) and waggling them till all the muck comes out will sort them, then squirt a bit of grease on them to protect and your good to go.

http://www.canyon.com/downloads/supportcenter/nerve_xc_11.pdf Canyon Nerve assembly sheet
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • Coxy_UK
    Cheers, I can't measure bearing as it's in the bike, hence needing a tool.

The part number says JNK GE8C (optional FAG GE8-UK).

Would the same bearing be the SKF GE8C found here http://simplybearings.co.uk/shop/p60117 ... _info.html

Canyon say they can't say whether any others would fit so should really order through them, however they said could take 10 days or so to arrive from Germany which is a bit of a nuisance.
    _______________________________________________________________________________________
    Tides of sin draw tighter and brighter, hours become heavier and weighted, and the shadows smile...dark and wild.
  • stubs
    What exactly is wrong with the bearing they are almost indestructible because they are a plain bearing with no balls to get rusty. They are supposed to have a small amount of play and unless its seized solid I would just clean it, when you have the swinging arm off and cap and spacer out you can turn the bearing inner 90 degrees and clean it using a spray and a cotton bud.

There is a 2nd problem spherical bearings are usually pressed in with a hydraulic press and are often an absolute custard to remove unless with the aid of heat, not something I would do to my frame unless I had a frame repair shop on speed dial.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • Coxy_UK
    Well boly worked way loose riding almost all way was pushing on chain rings. Bolt is a bit knackered and since then bike makes most horrendous noise! I cant really get in well to check/clean bearing in place. I figure replace it anyway job done.

Maybe just get shop to do it then
  • stubs
    Had same problem on my Nerve I just loctited the bolt back in and it was fine. Might not be that bearing making the noise i had one of the seatstay bearings go and it sounded like the bottom bracket had gone, the sound can travel confusing you.
  • Coxy_UK
    Well it's just that the bolt is a bit worse for wear and maybe damage was caused as didn't know loosed until couldn't pedal due to bolt against chain ring.

Otherwise dunno what to do as can hear noise unless being ridden so hard to check where noise coming from