wheel/hub on new bike

chatlow
chatlow Posts: 849
edited April 2014 in Road buying advice
Thinking about buying a Scott S20 as commuter and training bike. Think it's 2008 model in white but been pretty well looked after. Only issue is the rear hub is in a pretty bad state (very rough and quite a lot of side to side play). The price has been knocked down to reflect this. I know it's very difficult to say without seeing it but is it a lot cheaper to buy just a new hub rather than getting it fixed in shop or perhaps a new wheel?

Worried about how much these bike are worth and not spending too much on it.

Thanks

Comments

• mitchgixer6
    mitchgixer6 Posts: 729
    Which wheels does it have. Chances are it will just need the bearings serviced, not a huge job.
  • chatlow
    not a clue! as far as i know they are standard so SHIMANO WH 550 wheelset according to evans cycles spec.
  • mitchgixer6
    Chance that the cup inside the hub is beyond repair which would need a new hub. With those wheels though your be cheaper just buying a new pair. Could pick a pair up for £80 or less.
  • chatlow
    I've been offered the bike for £200. is it worth spending that much on it? frame has got good reviews online. Components are Ok. Mostly tiagra with 105 brakes
  • mitchgixer6
    Depends on whether you're willing to pay extra on top of that to get the rear wheel fixed.
  • chatlow
    well that's what I'm wondering - if the bike is worth me spending an extra £80 on. Will probably get it. I'm unlikely to find a frame with carbon forks/stays and decent spec for under £200.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    If you paid little, it doesn't mean the bike is worthless, sometimes you get a good deal on a nice bike, in which case it might be worth spending money on it... or not... not sure how a 2 K set of wheels on a carbon bike is worth spending, but an 80 quid set of wheels on a second hand bike is not worth bothering... they are both bicycles
    left the forum March 2023
  • chatlow
    agreed. I think I am getting a good deal. I guess I was hoping to confirm that by asking about the bike on here. Will try to fix the hub first and if no good, will replace it. No point getting a complete wheel. Buying the bike later. thanks
  • mitchgixer6
    Sound like the bike and the components at that price is a decent deal. Once you get the bike have a look at the back hub it might only need new bearings or a new cone. Again not too expensive.
  • chatlow
    thanks and yeah will take a look properly tomorrow.. there's a good amount of side to side play when the qr is secure but it also running rough and grinding when the wheel spins. Perhaps a clean out will work but because I have no idea how to do that, I may just replace the hub. LBS will advise