Spoke length?

rowlers
rowlers Posts: 1,614
edited April 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
I've yet again broken a spoke on my Superstar wheels (mavic 717 on switch), an extremely treacherous cycle path jaunt with the kids, was enough for them! :evil:
I've been told by Dave of superstar that I need:
Front ND-260mm D-264mm
Rear ND- 262mm D260mm

Does this sound right - different lengths on the front?

Also while I'm at it, why do spokes keep snapping, this is the 4th on front and at least 1 on the back?
They don't even see any offroad action - as I'm a bit of a roadie now! :roll:

Comments

• poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    where are the spokes breaking?

is it the same spoke?

what make of spokes?

Best to get the whole wheel rebuilt from scratch
  • rowlers
    always right in the middle of the spoke.
    different spokes,
    Sapim Race.
    I am tempted to get a full rebuild tbh, I'd never buy a SS wheelset again thats for sure.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Sounds like a faulty spoke, the mid point is the lowest stressed part and should never fail there unless its had some other damage, hard to blame SS directly for that.

Yes different length spokes is common (even left to right can be different), easiest way is to measure the one you have (obvious really!).
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • rowlers
    The Rookie wrote:
    Sounds like a faulty spoke, the mid point is the lowest stressed part and should never fail there unless its had some other damage, hard to blame SS directly for that.

Yes different length spokes is common (even left to right can be different), easiest way is to measure the one you have (obvious really!).
    But to have 4 faulty spokes on the front wheel alone is stretching things a bit surely?
    I understand different spoke lengths on the back, but on the front too? But if that is normal I'll get some ordered.

Cheers
  • The Rookie
    No, faulty spokes are much more likely in the same batch than in different batches, if all have failed mid spoke I'd be talking to SS about a rebuild with new spokes, SOGA would apply here, SS have a good rep despite your early 'going off on one' comment and may well agree and help out, inspect the broken spoke carefully for any sign of external damage, a number could get damaged in use of course, although that's a favourite for the rear due to mech clashes.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    A 4 mm difference on the front sounds Alot. If suggest getting some vernier calipers out and doing the maths.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • rowlers
    The Rookie wrote:
    No, faulty spokes are much more likely in the same batch than in different batches, if all have failed mid spoke I'd be talking to SS about a rebuild with new spokes, SOGA would apply here, SS have a good rep despite your early 'going off on one' comment and may well agree and help out, inspect the broken spoke carefully for any sign of external damage, a number could get damaged in use of course, although that's a favourite for the rear due to mech clashes.
    Certainly haven't gone "of on one" just looking for advice. Already spoken to superstar who weren't particularly interested. So just need to get the spoke length correct to replace them..

Thanks all
  • The Rookie
    I note you've now edited the bit about never getting SS wheels again?

I'd still be checking them....spokes really shouldn't be failing in the middle!
  • rowlers
    The Rookie wrote:
    I note you've now edited the bit about never getting SS wheels again?

I'd still be checking them....spokes really shouldn't be failing in the middle!
    Havn't edited anything :?:
    Its going in to LBS tomorrow, it doesn't help that my truing stand can't take a Maxle so I'd struggle to true it anyway...
  • The Rookie
    Look under your first post "Last edited by rowlers on Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total."

Now are you sure you haven't?
  • rowlers
    The Rookie wrote:
    Look under your first post "Last edited by rowlers on Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total."

Now are you sure you haven't?
    Hmmm - Yeah got to admit I added "length" to the title, as "Spoke" didn't quite cut it
    Shoot me.... :roll: :roll:
  • The Rookie
    :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :x
  • rowlers
    Just out of interest, I've had a good look over the rest of the spokes and found this:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xdvzrivqolir8mz/2014-04-17%2017.08.50.jpg

Looked like it was about to fail so, gave it a little squeeze and yep, this one snapped too.
    Thats 6 spokes on this front wheel. Can only be an awful batch of spokes.
    It would be nice if Superstar would at least send me some spokes, I'll try again with them....
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Looks like road salt corrosion. Is odd though.
  • rowlers
    supersonic wrote:
    Looks like road salt corrosion. Is odd though.
    Bizarre eh!
  • The Rookie
    None of the spokes on my commuter has done that despite 3 winters of road salt (this, the fourth winter, we've barely had any salt used) such that it's killed a chain and seized a rear mech solid....... I'd definitely be talking to SS about this, looks like a bad batch to me.
  • rowlers
    Wheel just dropped off at LBS, they reckon seized nipples ("crap alloy nipples used") and general corrosion.
    Full rebuild with new nipples @ £20 (will be a little less with Cycle Club Discount) required.