Frame with BB30 - Options

Jon_1976
Jon_1976 Posts: 690
edited April 2014 in Workshop
I'm going to buy a R872 frame soon. My only 'concern' is its BB30 and, having read all the stuff about it being a creak fest, I'm not sure of the best course of action. I'm planning to move my 6800 gruppo on to it (I'm in the minority of liking the 4 arm spider). I'm not keen on using the fsa sleeve adaptor, so do I:

1. Sell the 6800 chain set and get a BB30 one.
2. Praxis adapter and keep 6800 chain set
3. Wheels mfg adapters (using existing BB30 bearings) and keep 6800 chain set.

My only experience with BB30 was when I had a CAAD8 and never experienced any problems with it, having said that I didn't have it long.

Comments

• casatikid
    casatikid Posts: 229
    Didn't know you couldn't use the BB30 with the 6800 chainset.
    That's the /set my pal was going to have on the R872 if he buys one.Whats the problem with the creaks?
    Mick
  • rowlers
    rowlers Posts: 1,614
    There are a few BB30 thread recently - have a search.
    I've got a 6800 crank in a BB30 frame (Felt F1), using FSA adapter:
    http://www.fullspeedahead.com/products/ ... EDUCER--AL
    It supposed to be BB30 compatible and it works - sort of, but I'm not happy with it. Creaks etc...
    Loads of folk are happy with the Wheels Mfc ones, other swear by the Praxis etc. type.
    I'm on the fence, waiting for a reply back from Saddleback...
  • I use the enduro bb30 to gxp adapter. Very similar to the praxis really. No creaks or problems with the chain line.
    Very easy to fit and remove and only needed the bearings regressed once this winter even though I was riding in all conditions!
    Bike is a cannondale supersix with a sram red gxp chainset