Double to triple ring on a Merida Cyclocross 4

thebaldconvict
thebaldconvict Posts: 2
edited May 2014 in Cyclocross
Hi all,

I've been looking at a few different ways of doing this. Essentially I'm a bit of a wimp when it comes to hills and on some of the ones round my way I end up standing up all the way and absolutely knackered by the top.

I have a Merida Cyclocross 4 2014 which has a Shimano CS-4600-10 12-28 cassette, a FSA Gossamer Cross 46-36 Mega chainset, 105 shifters. a 105 SS rear and 105 D front deraillieur and lastly a KMC X10 10s chain.

What I'm looking for is a way to make it a tad easier on the hills, I've found ways to bodge a 11-32 cassette on but I don't know if that would make as much difference as swapping to a triple ring?

Could I please ask for some advice on the best way forward for this?

Many thanks in advance for any help

Comments

• tehtehteh
    tehtehteh Posts: 103
    you'll probably have to change derailleur and shifter as well if you're going from 2 to 3, why not just get a smaller double?
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Going to triple would mean you'd need to change your chainset, RH shifter and front mech i.e. £££. You could fit a 34 inner ring which will make it a bit easier. Without going to a road triple, another option would be to fit an MTB double chainset with 40/28 rings - chainline will be moved out a touch, but transmission should cope. Obviously would mean you've lost your top end gears.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    I would put a wider ratio cassette on so you aren't spinning out and then if that sitll isn't enough what Monty dog said as well would give you a near 1:1 ratio. I would have thought a 36F / 32 R would get up most things to be fair and you only have to change the cassette then rather than all the other gear like tehtehteh said.
  • matt@theforce
    matt@theforce Posts: 647
    I've looked at this but for a different reason, I'm looking to start using my CX4 for touring. I've gone for an XT11-32 cassette, fits straight on with only a little tweek of the adjuster screw on the rear mech :) , IMO the next step would be to look at a MTB mech/ 11-36 SRAM cassette & a new chain, this would be cheaper than converting to a triple chainset