Tan sidewall tyres - mavic ksyrium slr cervelo

Cmonlegs
Cmonlegs Posts: 54
edited April 2014 in Road buying advice
Hi guys,

I have a cervelo r5 with mavic ksyrium slr wheels and am looking to change the mavic tyres. Thinking of some with tan sidewalls.

What are people's thoughts?

Does anyone have any on slr wheels or a cervelo r5 13?

Comments

• It will look gash. NAPD will be along soon to post a pic of his R3.
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Stand by...
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • napoleond
    I hate to disappoint ;)

R3131212.jpg
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • riggsy81
    riggsy81 Posts: 281
    Nap D never lets you down .. I like that a lot
    I̶m̶ ̶t̶i̶r̶e̶d̶
    I̶t̶s̶ ̶r̶a̶i̶n̶i̶n̶g̶
    I̶t̶s̶ ̶t̶o̶o̶ ̶l̶a̶t̶e̶
    NO EXCUSES
    JUST RIDE!!!
  • Cmonlegs
    Cmonlegs Posts: 54
    Is 'gash' good or bad?

Napd- thanks, it does look super cool. Are they veloflex?
  • napoleond
    Cmonlegs wrote:
    Is 'gash' good or bad?

Gash = really bad

But I thought they looked great.

Veloflex Masters
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    NapoleonD wrote:
    Cmonlegs wrote:
    Is 'gash' good or bad?

Gash = really bad

But I thought they looked great.

Veloflex Masters

Yeah, but "really gash" probably means great by now. You just aren't keeping up with the lingo! :lol:

Keep those Masters out of the rain. Once they get properly mucky, there's no getting the tan back..........
    Faster than a tent.......
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    Vittoria Open Corsa SC are great tyres. A good trick for getting tan walls clean is some hand cleaner with polygrains used on a bit of rag. If you put in a bit of elbow grease you can get a pair of tyres looking pretty good in 15 mins.
  • I used some Park Tools CB-2 on my Vittoria paves today, they look like new.
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • rolf_f
    mfin wrote:
    Vittoria Open Corsa SC are great tyres.

But keep them away from very shallow rims if they are like the CX - they are slightly undersized and I just couldn't get them onto my Neutrons (no probs with very slightly deeper rimmed Ventos).

I'll try the hand cleaner idea. The dirt from two days of French alpine downpours seems really ingrained in the threads but I'll try anything (within reason!) once......
  • housemunkey
    housemunkey Posts: 237
    Rolf F wrote:
    mfin wrote:

But keep them away from very shallow rims if they are like the CX - they are slightly undersized and I just couldn't get them onto my Neutrons (no probs with very slightly deeper rimmed Ventos).

I'll try the hand cleaner idea. The dirt from two days of French alpine downpours seems really ingrained in the threads but I'll try anything (within reason!) once......

My SCs were a nightmare to get on the first time but they stretch a lot with use. Now I don't even need levers on the same rims.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    I had the SC... they are lovely tyres, but the sidewall is so fragile that it only took a 50 metres section of cobbles in Windsor to tear them. If you ride on less than perfect roads, leave them there. The same applies to the Challenge equivalent (Forte and others in their range). Don't know about the Veloflex, but the only tan wall tyre I would fit again is the Panaracer Pasela... maybe not the match you want for the SRL though
    left the forum March 2023
  • petemadoc
    petemadoc Posts: 2,331
    Veloflex here

Ride them all through the summer, they look fandabbydossy and feel lush.

Can't be arsed the clean them though. If you ride in the rain they will look poo :cry:
  • rolf_f
    Rolf F wrote:
    mfin wrote:

My SCs were a nightmare to get on the first time but they stretch a lot with use. Now I don't even need levers on the same rims.

I did get them on in the end but broke two levers trying to get them off. They are about 6mm smaller in circumference than the Veloflex (or any other 700c tyre).
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,807
    I used some Park Tools CB-2 on my Vittoria paves today, they look like new.

For those that know etc etc :lol:
  • rafletcher
    rafletcher Posts: 1,235
    Veloflex Pave for me too - verrry smooth.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,043
    I had the tan sidewall Vittorias and loved them but must admit what killed them was a cut in the sidewall.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    I had the tan sidewall Vittorias and loved them but must admit what killed them was a cut in the sidewall.

Indeed, with the exposed threads it only takes a stone to cut through
    left the forum March 2023