Bottom bracket siezed

RNonbike
RNonbike Posts: 2
edited April 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
I tried removing bottom bracket (Shimano type). Using that spline type of tool I removed one side after soaking it in Release compound, couldn't remove other side so whacked axis out from that side. All bearing cassettes were dissolved. Took pile of parts to a local bike shop only to be told: yup, gotta get the other piece out.
I used a bolt to retain tool to bike then clamped on tool- no luck, almost stripped tool.
Question: Any suggestions?
Said piece is now being soaked in release stuff hoping to penetrate threads.
Question: If I strip threads inside bottom bracket, can I use a "press-fit" axis as an adaptation for axis or must I tap out the threads?

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    What is the bb?

Bigger lever.

Not sure how you'll stripe it if you're turning it the correct way
  • bailsofhay
    bailsofhay Posts: 191
    Are you turning it the right way?
    Drive side is clockwise to loosen, non drive is counter clockwise to loosen.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    This^^^^^^^^^^^^^

But if you are turning it the right way, a few whacks on the tool with a mallet normally loosens things up.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    RNonbike wrote:
    I tried removing bottom bracket (Shimano type). Using that spline type of tool I removed one side after soaking it in Release compound, couldn't remove other side so whacked axis out from that side. All bearing cassettes were dissolved. Took pile of parts to a local bike shop only to be told: yup, gotta get the other piece out.
    I used a bolt to retain tool to bike then clamped on tool- no luck, almost stripped tool.
    Question: Any suggestions?
    Said piece is now being soaked in release stuff hoping to penetrate threads.
    Question: If I strip threads inside bottom bracket, can I use a "press-fit" axis as an adaptation for axis or must I tap out the threads?
    Yes there are BBs that you could use but if you had not done what you have come out quite easily.

So which cup are you having issues with?

From a thread above
    nicklouse wrote:
    Ok the BB is shot so that need to come out.

it had been in for years and i had already split the cup on the non drive side.

img0471y.jpg

img0468oo.jpg

great tool that screws into the BB axle as well

img0467cr.jpg

and out it comes.

img0469k.jpg

Lovely.
    img0470f.jpg

so how to get the cup out as you can not use a BB tool.

next post.

You will most likely need to take it to the bike shop to get the threads cleaned. (Chased).
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown