Importing from a USA eBay seller. Tax to pay?

middersp
middersp Posts: 15
edited April 2014 in Road buying advice
I'm quite tempted by some wheels from a U.S based seller on eBay for approx £200.
Price is at least £50 less than UK/Europe even with £30 shipping.
However, I am not sure if import tax will be due and how much.
I'm looking for anybody who has bought from U.S to please share your experiences.
Thanks.

Comments

• StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    Depends on what mood everyone is in. You may get lucky and avoid any import duty, but then again, you may get hammered. Bear in mind though that £200 for a set of wheels makes it highly dubious they were made in the USA. For £400 you can get a decent set of carbon tubs from Planet X which will have a valid warranty and although they were probably also made from some components manufactured in Taiwan, there is more probability the components are from legitimate sources.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Even for that value you may get stung for VAT and the post office £8 handling charge. I got stung with this for a £30 RD-M730 rear mech that turned out to scrap due to play.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • mr_evil
    mr_evil Posts: 234
    My experience of buying stuff from the US is that nearly everything will be charged 20% VAT. Contrast that with stuff from China, which usually passes through customs unhindered.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,891
    Yep from the US I have been hit everytime, only on items valued at more than £15.

20% of the Total price of the item AND postage is what they usually charge 20% on, and then the lovely £8 admin charge.

A £20 item can end up costing you 60% more.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    What they are basically saying is - don't bother. It isn't worth it. For a few quid at most you are in for a fun time if something goes wrong......
    Faster than a tent.......