Carrera Titan 650b

Bradp
Bradp Posts: 7
edited April 2014 in MTB buying advice
Was thinking of buying the Carrera Titan 650b from Halfords because it seems like a good deal and would have a lot of money spare. If I did buy it, what parts would you advise I improve?

Comments

• 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    link?
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    Just ride it and see what you don't like.
  • Johnson.
    Johnson. Posts: 18
    http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... yId_165499 - Carerra titan 650b...

I am also looking at this bike so interested to see peoples opinions.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Reasonable for £300. Never worth the full price.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Bradp wrote:
    Was thinking of buying the Carrera Titan 650b from Halfords because it seems like a good deal and would have a lot of money spare. If I did buy it, what parts would you advise I improve?
    It's not a good deal, it's about par for a £300 bike, you'd want to change the Forks, brakes and crankset at least, or to save buying new bits twice, just buy a better bike (Bantu or Vulcan are better, Voodoo much better or there is the Rockriders from Decathlon or the Calibres from Go Outdoors).
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    ^^^ this.

components are never as good value as when they come with a new bike.
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • raldat
    raldat Posts: 242
    Yep, +1 to all of that. My order of work when looking at a bike is to decide what style of bike, geometry, frame material etc. the look,for options with the fork want. In my experience, this is the most expensive part on the bike to replace. The Reba RLs on the 29er XC hard tail I bought last year sell for a full ⅓ of the price I paid for the bike for example. Then start to find ones that have the best value for money combined with a suitable other part list from there.

In other words, the bike you linked to probably won't be great. The fork is likely to e horrible. But then again, no £300 bike will have a good fork, unless it is rigid.