Considering GPS

MikeCheryl
MikeCheryl Posts: 59
edited April 2014 in MTB beginners
Hi

Well that was a long winter!
Hope everyone survived ok :)

Some might recall that I asked about a GPS for our occasional off road trips here in the UK.
I've been looking at a Garmin Dakota 20 Handheld GPS System however it looks like you have to buy a UK fine scale map and that makes it very expensive.
We don't have smart phones so do want a dedicated unit.
Last year we headed off to a local woodland and got lost LOL it would have been handy to see where we were and see the tracks that were available and which direction to go.
At the same time we'd like to see roads and cycle paths.

What is there out there that might do all these things without costing a small fortune?

Thanks

Comments

• njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    The trouble is that the vast majority of paths one cycles on are not legal rights of way - they're just paths. But not classified bridleways etc, therefore they won't be marked on maps, so you can spend on the most detailed OS maps you want, but they still won't actually show the paths you're on.
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    That.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • Is there anything like a live Google earth, then you could see where you were?
  • freezing77
    freezing77 Posts: 731
    MikeCheryl wrote:
    Hi

Well that was a long winter!
    Hope everyone survived ok :)

Some might recall that I asked about a GPS for our occasional off road trips here in the UK.
    I've been looking at a Garmin Dakota 20 Handheld GPS System however it looks like you have to buy a UK fine scale map and that makes it very expensive.
    We don't have smart phones so do want a dedicated unit.
    Last year we headed off to a local woodland and got lost LOL it would have been handy to see where we were and see the tracks that were available and which direction to go.
    At the same time we'd like to see roads and cycle paths.

What is there out there that might do all these things without costing a small fortune?

Thanks

Download the free openstreetmaps.

6957725908_717e05e1b9_c.jpg
  • miceden
    miceden Posts: 225
    You don't have to buy the maps, plenty of free ones you can put onto garmins.... any particular reason why you're inclined to the dakota rather than the edge?
  • Hi, sounds interesting, no I am happy to look at any brand?