Advice on bike purchase and maintenance

IWTRMB
IWTRMB Posts: 4
edited April 2014 in Road buying advice
Dear forum users,

As a longtime road racing fan, watching the world tours and classics, I finally want to buy my first road bike. I ride bikes all the time (regulars for commuting and MTB for fun) but even as a big fan, never really got around to getting a road bike for some reason. Now I’ve just spent a long time abroad, where I was living in a mountainous area and riding my Specialized Rockhopper MTB there only fueled my desire. I want to read up on things before the purchase, and thought a forum like this one would be a good place: after starting this thread I'll head over to the "What Road Bike?" thread by CanterburyTailwind; but I thought it'd be better to ask these specific questions in this thread. I'm sorry about the length.

The purchase
The thing is: I don’t really know what to pay attention to. I’ve bought two MTB’s in my life, both pretty much on a whim. For the first I was pretty young, so just went with what looked cool and “felt right”. The second I knew I’d have to sell after a relatively short time (since it was abroad), so I didn’t care too much (it ended up being an amazing bike).
So… I feel you really get to know what’s right for you when you have it and notice things… and I don’t have this experience with road bikes.

I am around 1.94 meters tall (6 feet 4⅜ inches), so that’s obviously something to pay attention to.
I am looking to spend around 750-1000 euros (say 1000-1300 USD, 600-900 GBP).
Bikes I’ve seen at my local store, that I think seem good are:
- Specialized Allez Sport – 61cm frame, 28 inch wheels
- Specialized Allez C2 – 61cm frame, 28 inch wheels
- Specialized Allez Sport C2 Saxo – 61cm inch, 28 inch wheels

Are these frames alright for my height, do you think? (I haven’t taken a test ride yet). Anyone know these and can advise on the experience (overall or specific things)? What are the differences between these?
Other suggestions are VERY welcome as well (even if they’re more expensive… I really want to read up on things: for one I am not even sure how to measure out at what height you should set your saddle for a perfect fit; I just feel it out).

For my MTB Specialized Rockhopper I actually do not know the exact size. I bought it when I was in Australia, and all I know is that it had an “XL” frame. Looking at the Specialized site, the largest size seems to be 23inch (so 58.5 cm). But I’m not really sure it was that high or higher… I do know that I liked the size, but I wasn’t as stressed about it, so maybe didn’t pay too much attention to things that might irk me on a big purchase. Also things may be different with road bikes that I do not know about.
I also just saw this one:
- Bulls Harrier 28" 30K – 62-64cm frame, 28 inch wheels.
But for some reason am not really sure. I just have a very good experience with Specialized. This one might even seem a little big anyway (my MTB handlebars were alomst too wide). Then someone I know, who’s about as tall as me, just bought a Cannondale – but I don’t know specifics yet.

I’ll be hoping to ride my road bike as much as possible, to start with on flat terrain (I live in a very flat country). If at all possible (when I get a car) I would very much like riding holidays in, say French mountain area’s… but that’s probably for later (and I might just buy extra gear that I can put on, no?)

Maintenance
This brings me to the next question on maintenance. Obviously I shouldn’t ride it in winter weather for the salt and water etc. but do cold temperatures matter as well? I really want to take good care of it.
Also having built up good stamina etc. while riding up and down a mountain for my commute I feel I want to keep it going in winter as well. What can I do here? These bikes I listed are described as “good starter bikes or bikes for winter training”. Does that mean it’s ok to use them all seasons, or are “bikes for winter training” simply bikes you don’t “care” about as much?
If I can do some other training at home at such time I’d like to know as well. I’m pretty sporty but don’t really like going to gyms or anything… I’d rather do that at home. I pretty much do squats and those things for your calves (where you stand on your toes on your stairs and curl your ankles up and down… I don’t know what it’s called in English).

Well… this turned out to be a long story. Sorry about that, but as I said I’d really like to read up on things. Also, I’m a big fan and I always get very much into things like these (hence the addition of questions about maintenance and training right away). I have to go abroad again soon, so will be away for most of the summer. That’s why I asked about the winter stuff. It might be wise to wait up for a time where I can use it intensively right away.

Thanks for reading, and your info would be much appreciated.
J

Comments

• mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    IWTRMB wrote:
    J

I didn't, I scrolled to the bottom to see how long it went on for, but thanks for the thanks.
  • Mccaria
    Mccaria Posts: 869
    I am 6'2 and ride 58cm Specialized. This would indicate 61cm would work for someone of your height.

Maybe have a look at the Canyon Roadlite. Given Canyon's origin as a German brand they tend to have availability in bigger sized frames. I size up XL on a Canyon, but they will go as big as XXXL, so should have something to meet your requirements at your price point.
  • IWTRMB
    mfin wrote:
    IWTRMB wrote:
    J

I didn't, I scrolled to the bottom to see how long it went on for, but thanks for the thanks.

You would seem to have tricked me there. Thanks for pointing out this flaw in my text. (But seriously, it takes like two minutes to read).
    Mccaria wrote:
    I am 6'2 and ride 58cm Specialized. This would indicate 61cm would work for someone of your height.

Maybe have a look at the Canyon Roadlite. Given Canyon's origin as a German brand they tend to have availability in bigger sized frames. I size up XL on a Canyon, but they will go as big as XXXL, so should have something to meet your requirements at your price point.

Thanks for the info. The Allez 61cm seem very interesting to me then. I'll check out the Canyon as well, definitely looks interesting.
  • nawty
    nawty Posts: 225
    At your height i (at only 5'7") would buy what feels comfortable after a test ride, I'd probably try and find a Decathlon store as with you budget they will offer great value.

As for winter bikes, basically salt, water and grit isn't good for bikes so people tend to ride cheaper / more robust bikes in winter. This is compounded by the fact that people tend to use lightweight and therefore less robust (and more expensive) components on their good bikes so feel less inclined to put them through the rigours of winter riding.

In reality, as long as you are sensible there is no reason not to ride the same bike all year but it does give you a good excuse to buy another bike, which is a good thing :D
    Cannondale CAAD 10 Ultegra
    Kinesis Racelight Tiagra
  • IWTRMB
    Thanks nawty. I'd like to try the 61cm Specialized (went there today, but they seemed not to have everything there at the time). But, seeing as the Cannondale my mate has might actually be a Canyon, trying that out would be very worthwhile. I still have lots of time, so I'll just put the Specialized Allez's (Sport, C2, Sport C2) and Canyon Roadlite on my "to-test-list".

Does anyone know the differences between Sport, C2 and Sport C2 of Specialized Allez?
  • andy9964
    andy9964 Posts: 930
    Scrolling to the bottom of here, suggests its better group sets, and or wheels.
    Just a brief summary, though you can click on each one for a more in depth analysis

http://www.evanscycles.com/pages/specia ... road-bikes
  • nawty
    nawty Posts: 225
    Yeah, I think they all have the same frame, you just pay more for better finishing kit, it's up to you whether you think it's worth they extra.
    Cannondale CAAD 10 Ultegra
    Kinesis Racelight Tiagra