• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Nikola Tesla
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,930
    Your last meal, if you are a cannibal.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,088
    Earl Haig, so we can get his point of view before we execute him.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • ballysmate

Perhaps you could explain to him the tactics you would have employed, having had all these years to formulate them. :wink:
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,088
    Ballysmate wrote:

Perhaps you could explain to him the tactics you would have employed, having had all these years to formulate them. :wink:

I have read countless books on the 1st WW and French and Haig had absolutely no regard for human life. Some of the extracts from their diaries are gobsmacking. Lloyd George approached Haig early in 1915 regarding the loss of life which he was already appaled by but political circumstances prevented him from removing Haig from hos position.

French: In one instance, 800 men went over the top and 26 survived having been mowed down by machine guns:

"...those boys were very brave and despite being against the odds, fought like men ought to fight. I am very proud of them to a man..."

The whole event accounted by French and not a single mention of the fatalities. French had been previously informed that the battalion faced machine guns and were probably not going to reap any rewards.

Yes, we have hindsight and yes moral relativism is flawed but there is no shortage of examples of blind ignorance to the tactical futility of the way in which the war was conducted. Ultimately, the naval blockade did far more to affect the outcome of the war which is why the loss of life is so sad and was so pointless. It was evident that Haig wanted to prove his strategy regardless of the effectiveness of it and regardless of the carnage.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • nathancom
    nathancom Posts: 1,567
    team47b wrote:
    Thomas midgely jr should be brought back to view the legacy of his two great ideas, adding lead to fuel and CFC's to refrigerators :D
    Apparently he was responsible for crime waves as well....
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-27067615
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    seanoconn wrote:
    Paul Walker. R.I.P old friend :(

Really? Of everyone who has ever lived, you'd bring Paul Walker back?! Why? Genuinely curious. I mean, OK, it sounds like he was an affable, decent bloke, he certainly died too young, he made some decent films and some crap ones but he wasn't exactly a movie great and it isn't as though bringing him back would result in him being able to tell you stuff you don't know. :?

I'm with the dig up a dead writer brigade. As writers, they'd be able to paint a fantastic picture of the world they lived in plus they'd be able to write new books that would really be something. My choice would be Daniel Defoe or William Thackeray but any would do.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • ballysmate
    Rolf F wrote:
    seanoconn wrote:
    Paul Walker. R.I.P old friend :(

Really? Of everyone who has ever lived, you'd bring Paul Walker back?! Why? Genuinely curious. I mean, OK, it sounds like he was an affable, decent bloke, he certainly died too young, he made some decent films and some crap ones but he wasn't exactly a movie great and it isn't as though bringing him back would result in him being able to tell you stuff you don't know. :?

I'm with the dig up a dead writer brigade. As writers, they'd be able to paint a fantastic picture of the world they lived in plus they'd be able to write new books that would really be something. My choice would be Daniel Defoe or William Thackeray but any would do.

viewtopic.php?f=40088&t=12950621&hilit=paul+walker
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Ballysmate wrote:

Lol - I'd applied patent memory eradication formula to that thread!

Isn't it time we had a separate sub forum for all VTECH related threads? Just for the sake of clarity. So we all know where we stand...... :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • bianchimoon
    bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
    Rolf F wrote:
    Ballysmate wrote:

Isn't it time we had a separate sub forum for all VTECH related threads? Just for the sake of clarity. So we all know where we stand...... :lol:
    That's a great idea!! :twisted:
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • nathancom
    nathancom Posts: 1,567
    Rolf F wrote:
    Ballysmate wrote:

That's a great idea!! :twisted:
    It already exists

http://www.pistonheads.com/
  • florerider
    florerider Posts: 1,112
    missing V-tech :(

but bring back Aggieboy :mrgreen: