Bontrager XR4's

tompo24
tompo24 Posts: 10
edited April 2014 in MTB buying advice
Hi Guys

I want to buy a pair of 2.2's for my 2012 trance but im worried i wont have the clearance at the rear . Any trance owners fitted these? Was the clearance ok? Also how are the tyres generally ive heard nothing but good reviews.

Cheers Tom

Comments

• tompo24
    tompo24 Posts: 10
    Also any opinions on 2.2 rubber queens on a trance?
  • I run xr4 team issue on my Boardman . Rate them very highly in all conditions . Wet dry , mud , roots no problem . Easy tubeless set up too.
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    XR4s are fantastic allround tyres. I'd be amazed if 2.2s don't clear the frame in a Trance, they're not exactly oversized/undermeasured like some tyres and it's hardly an "old school" frame.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • shindig
    shindig Posts: 173
    The XR4 is a great all-round tyre. I've been running a set on my Santa Cruz Nickel since January. Fast rolling, good grip, good edge grip.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I used to use 2.2" XR4's on my old 2010 Trance and used 2.2" Rubber Queens on my old 2012 Anthem.
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    I run XR4's - great tyre in the rocky, dry stuff over here

They're measuring about 65mm wide
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • Antm81
    Antm81 Posts: 1,406
    Got a 2.2 rubber queen on the back of my trance, no clearance issues put it is the previous frame to yours.
  • ElliesDad
    ElliesDad Posts: 245
    I got a couple of XR4's for my Boardman FS Team, they are very big tyres and I couldn't put one on the back due to it fouling the frame even though the OEM 2.2 Mountain Kings fitted fine! So I ended up running an XR4 up front with a Panaracer XC Fire Pro at the back. Having said that, the FS Team does have poor clearance at the back so maybe you will be lucky!
    2012 Boardman FS Team
    2014 Giant Defy 2
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    the xr4 2.2 are oversized i think as i could only just use one on the front of my hardtail and had to use a thinner tyre on the rear.

they are decent as the tread pattern is directional so you dont slide about as much going through mud, wet conditions i've found.

the tyre sidewall on the team issue version are thin through so could get cut easily.