Ubuntu

Dai Thom
Dai Thom Posts: 18
edited April 2014 in The cake stop
Trying to install Ubuntu on to a old Pentium 4 tower computer that had Windows XP on it, any body had any experience with this operating system and any advice to give to a new user.
any help would be appreciated
Gareth

Comments

• RDW
    RDW Posts: 1,900
    Not sure the Unity GUI that Ubuntu now uses is ideal for hardware of that age. I like the MATE version of Mint (also based on Ubuntu), which has more modest hardware requirements and a GUI that is closer to XP.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Oh come on, linux is simple, you just have to recompile the distro kernel, hex the stack, gnome the GNU, bash the shell and shell the bash, and you're good to go!
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,481
    bompington wrote:
    Oh come on, linux is simple, you just have to recompile the distro kernel, hex the stack, gnome the GNU, bash the shell and shell the bash, and you're good to go!

Don't you need it up and running so you can access those websites before this stage?
  • Dai Thom
    Dai Thom Posts: 18
    Just to let you know that I have installed Ubuntu and it is up and running and it is a lot faster than windows XP was.
    So I will try and find out all about it and then let my family loose on it

Gareth
  • solosuperia
    solosuperia Posts: 333
    In 24hrs or less you will be thinking why didn't I do this years ago.
    For anyone else out there thinking of switching to Ubuntu/Linux and is put off by the misconception that it is only for geeks.
    Trust me, I've been using it for about 9+ years. I would never describe myself as halfway towards being a geek.