Exeter to Glampton - Routes via the Park

Tiesetrotter
Tiesetrotter Posts: 432
edited April 2014 in Tour & expedition
Trying to build my own route. But I am guessing.

I am arriving in Exeter St Davids on Thursday afternoon and fancy around 100km ride down to my sisters. I know I want to go through Christow, purely because my maternal great, great, great, great grandmother lived there. Apart from that I just want I nice route through the park and then down to Glampton.

Any pointers on villages or routes for a nice tour would be good. At the moment my DIY route is going out to Dunsford via the ominously named Six Mile Hill Lane, down to Christow and then across to the reservoirs. But not sure I am missing anything that I really should do.

Some pointers would be good.

Comments

• In fact here is the Ridegps gues a good route:

http://ridewithgps.com/routes/4456453

But I have no idea whether this is good or not. I am really trying to avoid A roads as being from just outside London they are bad. Where as here my little roads maybe dirt tracks. I am riding a nice road bike by the way not any rough tough thingy.
  • random man
    random man Posts: 1,518
    It looks a challenging route but Datmoor's brilliant. Have a good ride, hope your gears are small enough :D
  • Mmm, just looked at it on elevation. So 86km 1750m that is really hilly. I normally do circa 100km at 1400m.

Might post on the main threads to see if I can get comments on the route.
  • whoof
    whoof Posts: 756
    The Teign Valley is popular loop from Exeter. Leave St David's, turn left and then left again over the level crossing. Then left into Exwick Rd and Buddle Lane and right at the lights on the B3212 and up the hill. Down the other side, under the A30, past the RSPCA, up Longdown and then after dropping down again turn left on to the B3193 Teign Valley. Christow is a few hundred metres to your right. From there plot a route on the smaller roads through Newton Abbott, Kingskerswell, Compton and Paignton.
  • whoof
    whoof Posts: 756
    Just looked at the link route thing above. The first bit is the same up to the B3193. On the route I suggested you skirt the side of Dartmoor and get to go to Christow.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,511
    Mmm, just looked at it on elevation. So 86km 1750m that is really hilly. I normally do circa 100km at 1400m.

Might post on the main threads to see if I can get comments on the route.
    Yes, you've picked a really hilly little route there - but would be beautiful on a nice day.

So many ways of getting where you want to, as long as you avoid the A38 and A380. Coast road is cracking, and not too bad, apart from a longish climb out of Shaldon, and fairly lively undulation. Teign Valley (see above) - also beautiful, or, if you want to do Dartmoor, go straight on through Moretonhampstead, then turn left before Two Bridges to go back through Dartmeet, bit of a killer hill after that, but you get to see Haytor, and a big descent into Bovey Tracey.

But, as I say, pick just about any road in Devon (apart from the ones mentioned above, and the dualled A30), and you'll enjoy yourself.
  • Don't fllow the route I mapped. It turned out the little lanes were not lanes but footpaths and byways. It was a lovely day as I got lost at least a dozen times and ended up all over the place.

Some awesome climbs, particularly remember Neadon Lane near Christow, very challenging.

What with all the losing myself and stopping my average pace was well down. But ended up with 2,600m of climbing over 106km and enjoyed every second of it. I'll edit my ridewithgps route to be more sensible so anyone wanting the epic can do it.
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    excellent... sea level to dartmoor and back to sea level again. your weather was pretty good as well
  • Yes, little chilly. But considering the climbing that was not a problem. I would truly recommend Neadon lane as a climb to do. I did a lot of very, very steep climbs but that one was the real challenge.