Places in London for kids learning to ride

r3hxn
r3hxn Posts: 127
Hey guys,

Can anyone recommend a nice place in greater london for a family ride, for a kid who is just beginning to ride with stabilisers. Preferably not too central, outside the congestion zone & where there is adequate parking.

Cannondale Cx2 Hybrid
Scott Scale - Custom mtb - Work in progress

Comments

• darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180
    If your kid is just starting out don't bother with stabilisers, just take the pedals off for half an hour to get their balance then they will be good to go. Shouldn't take more than hour to learn to ride a bike.
  • r3hxn
    In an ideal world your absolutely right, I even bought a balance bike for him over a year ago. However the truth is he is a very cautious and worried kid who is afraid of getting hurt, I've been forced to use stabilisers to give him a bit of confidence and get him to enjoy riding.

Cannondale Cx2 Hybrid
  • baudman
    baudman Posts: 757
    If your kid is just starting out don't bother with stabilisers, just take the pedals off for half an hour to get their balance then they will be good to go. Shouldn't take more than hour to learn to ride a bike.

Different kids take different times. Some minutes. Some months. Nothing wrong with that - but what works for one, may not work for another.
    Commute - MASI Souville3 | Road/CX - MASI Speciale CX | Family - 80s ugly | Utility - Cargobike
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    r3hxn wrote:
    In an ideal world your absolutely right, I even bought a balance bike for him over a year ago. However the truth is he is a very cautious and worried kid who is afraid of getting hurt, I've been forced to use stabilisers to give him a bit of confidence and get him to enjoy riding.
    Is he able to pick his feet up on his balance bike and roll? If not I'm not sure I'd bother spending any time on the pedal bike at all - I'd wait for him to crack that first.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • r3hxn
    He would do it only very briefly then put his feet back down, more a confidence thing then skill. The problem is, it made him much less enthusiastic about riding it, he would only ride the balance bike because I pressured him to do so. Thats where the fun starts to drain for the kid, and I think we shouldn't loose perspective of that. He was not enthusiastic about me buying him a pedal bike at all and he's 5 going on 6 now, so its not like he is too young. So i went with the stabilisers, he gave it a try, and he is slowly falling in love with riding his bike. No longer needs me to suggest it, he wants to ride it. For me that was more important, actually getting him on the bike and riding. I can worry about balance later, when he is at a place where he himself wants to learn to ride 2 wheels. In contrast my youngest who is going on 2, I can see already will have no issues with the balance bike, he is a completely different personality, already scooting around on a scooter and climbing into places like he was spiderman.

Cannondale Cx2 Hybrid
  • natrix
    natrix Posts: 1,111
    Richmond Park??
    ~~~~~~Sustrans - Join the Movement~~~~~~
  • Depending on what side of London you are, Dulwich park is always nice. Think they have a cycle hire place too & various cafés and play grounds etc. it's flat too!!
    Specialized Dolce Elite - Commuter Bike
    Charge Plug - Pootle Bike
    Ribble R872 - 'Nice' Bike
  • r3hxn
    thanks, its quite a distance but does look like a nice family day out.

Cannondale Cx2 Hybrid
  • BigLights
    BigLights Posts: 464
    whereabouts in London are you?

I posted a question like this recently (Wandsworth) - Spencer Park, Wandsworth Common, Putney Common etc all have some good gentle slopes for learning to ride.