Rear hubs

rockmonkeysc
rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
edited April 2014 in MTB buying advice
Can anyone recommend a good 142 x 12 rear hub? Needs to be 32 hole and not a Novatec hub.
Hope is the obvious choice but is there anything good but cheaper?

Comments

• poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    nukeproof generator

E Thirteen XCX+

DT swiss
  • miceden
    miceden Posts: 225
    Superstar switch evo
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Superstar and Nukeproof are rebadged Novatecs.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • stubs
    Zee
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • rockmonkeysc
    Superstar and Nukeproof are (like many others) novatec hubs. I have my reasons for not wanting them.
    Saint are a nice suggestion but as it's for my xc bike, would XT be more appropriate?
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Well yes, but that's a beefy hub type so everyone assumed it was a beefier bike. XTs are great but not that light.
  • Hob Nob
    Hob Nob Posts: 200
    Second hand DT Swiss 240s.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    American Classic? DT350?

Or second hand 240 as above.
    Well yes, but that's a beefy hub type so everyone assumed it was a beefier bike

Not really, loads of bikes coming with 142x12mm now, all Trek carbon Superflys, Spesh Epic etc.
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Coming now maybe, but knowing the bikes he has.
  • rockmonkeysc
    I thought 142 x 12 was fairly common on trail bikes now.
    The DT 240 looks very good if I can find a reasonable used one.
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    IIRC the 350 uses the same internals as the 240 but has a cheaper and heavier shell, that'd be my pick if you don't want Hope or Novatec based hubs
  • rockmonkeysc
    Hope are ok. A bit expensive and noisy but reliable.
    It's the weak freehubs and dodgy bearing sealing I don't like about the various Novatec hubs I have had.
  • stubs
    lawman wrote:
    IIRC the 350 uses the same internals as the 240 but has a cheaper and heavier shell, that'd be my pick if you don't want Hope or Novatec based hubs

The DT350 is made in Taiwan so a good chance its made by Novatec, you cant get away from them :lol:

Will be over the budget but I like the look of American Classic hubs.
  • njee20
    No it's not. As Lawman says the 350 uses 240 internals in a heavier hub shell.

I bought my American Classics from AE Bike in the US, more expensive than Hope, but not by much.

$227, plus shipping and that which was very reasonable. More worthwhile on a pair of course. Still a lot cheaper than DT240, and lighter.
  • stubs
    You had better tell DT then otherwise they will waste a lot of money sending DT350 hubs all round the world via Taiwan. They will also need to change their website
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Not sure he was saying it wasn't made in Taiwan, just that its not made by Novatech!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • njee20
    Indeed I was! Novatec hubs are rebranded as loads of things (Nukeproof, Superstar, Funworks etc etc), DT is not one of them, their hubs are entirely different.
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Kt qlites if you can find them are great hubs.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.