Mid section wheel advice

tp2000
tp2000 Posts: 102
edited April 2014 in Road buying advice
Hi

I'm looking for a set of mid section wheels - around the 35-45mm mark that I can use on a regular basis eg put on now and barring any horrendous days leave on until the autumn.

I've narrowed it down to two pairs....the mavic cosmic 40c and the dura ace c35 wheels. Clearly advantages to both (depth and looks on the mavic; durability on the shimano).

Does anyone have practical experience of either of these wheelsets? The weight differential is largely immaterial.

Alternatively should the c50 be more of a consideration (although not 100% convinced on this as I do like my hills).

These are to supplement a set of handmade shallow section wheels as well as opposed to being the only wheelset.

Thanks

Comments

• I have the DA c35s, brilliant ride, bomb proof, light and pretty stiff. I have seen many cursing about broken Mavics, I would avoid them. The DA would last you a long time. Aluminium brake tracks are a plus and hubs are easily self serviceable.
    Battaglin 3 Cime
    Jamis Exile race 29er
    Schwinn Madison
  • Camcycle1974
    Camcycle1974 Posts: 1,356
    tp2000 wrote:
    Hi

I'm looking for a set of mid section wheels - around the 35-45mm mark that I can use on a regular basis eg put on now and barring any horrendous days leave on until the autumn.

I've narrowed it down to two pairs....the mavic cosmic 40c and the dura ace c35 wheels. Clearly advantages to both (depth and looks on the mavic; durability on the shimano).

Does anyone have practical experience of either of these wheelsets? The weight differential is largely immaterial.

Alternatively should the c50 be more of a consideration (although not 100% convinced on this as I do like my hills).

These are to supplement a set of handmade shallow section wheels as well as opposed to being the only wheelset.

Thanks
    Vision Metron 40's also worth a look.
  • tp2000
    tp2000 Posts: 102

That is very helpful - thank you....and if (hypothetically) they were considerably cheaper than the RRP....would that change the viewpoint on them?

I took light, fast, safe but expensive (and a ballache for replacement parts - but get a feeling that is the case for any factory wheel nowadays). At what point does expensive not become expensive?
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Well that sums them up doesn't it.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    tp2000 wrote:
    At what point does expensive not become expensive?

Only you can answer that
    left the forum March 2023
  • ivanoile
    ivanoile Posts: 202
    Campagnolo Bora Ultra 35
  • snakedoc
    snakedoc Posts: 200
    I've got a set of Mavic 40C's on my venge and I think they're brilliant apart from the squeal I get when braking hard (wheels only fitted on Monday so it may just be bedding in issue).
  • Ribble have the cheapest Bora 2's at the moment.
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles