FLASH CARBON 3 vs FLASH ALLOY 1

CannondaleDaleNut
edited April 2014 in MTB buying advice
Have sourced bth bikes on-line at £1300 for Carbon and £1100 for the Alloy

The Flash Carbon is a 2011 and the Alloy a 2012 both 26ers

Just wondered which bike should I go for?

Obviously the Alloy 1 has the best spec, with the Carbon 3 the better frame

Would appreciate hearing some views............

Comments

• I'm sure you will appreciate the better parts more than a lighter frame tbh.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    But given time all the parts will wear out, the frame will still be the frame.

Of those two I'd get the carbon every time. That said... I'd not buy a 26" wheeled XC race bike now.
  • njee20 wrote:
    But given time all the parts will wear out, the frame will still be the frame.

Of those two I'd get the carbon every time. That said... I'd not buy a 26" wheeled XC race bike now.

Is a 29er really so much better?
  • Define better haha, depends on what you are looking for in a bike. They are faster most of the time.
    Battaglin 3 Cime
    Jamis Exile race 29er
    Schwinn Madison
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    For racing, speed is the most important better, unless you are buying an XC race style bike but not racing it?

I'm with njee on both his statements.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    Also the fact wheels are starting to come in only 650b and 29" (Look at new XTR).

love 26" as much as you like(and i do) but the support will become a bit legacy in terms of higher end components sooner than expected IMO.
  • The Rookie wrote:
    For racing, speed is the most important better, unless you are buying an XC race style bike but not racing it?

I'm with njee on both his statements.

My head hurts, I don't race but do lots of XC through forests and single track cycling - are these bikes not what I need?
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    26" wheels will just stop working just like how all computers were killed by the millennium bug. Have you forgotten how planes fell from the sky and the world went in to melt down?
  • Tee hee - thank you RockMonkey - I feel a little better now - Carbon it is then (I think) :D