Should I upgrade my chainset?

worb68
worb68 Posts: 75
edited April 2014 in MTB buying advice
I have a Giant Trance X4 2012 and have had for 12 months. 6 months ago I needed a new chain and rear cassette and it seems I need new again as the chain has stretched beyond the chain measuring tool (seems to be every 500 miles or so which is pretty poor I think). Instead of replacing the chain and cassette (Again) would I be better off upgrading to a harder wearing chainset completely. I oil the chain before every ride as well.

If so which ones would be advisable to go to? I'm currently running 3 x 9 - would 2 x 10 be a better option for me or do you need to be super fit for that as I struggle on hills.

Many Thanks.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    That’s not going to help the chain though.
    I think chain measuring thingies were invented by chain companies to sell more chains.

What are you oiling the chain with?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Chainset has little to do with it. Just change the chain and see what happens.
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    what chain and cassette are you buying? are you getting the length of the chain correct? are you actually suffering from any problems or are you just changing because the tool says the chain is stretched?

changing to a 2x10 will not be a cheap option and you gear it accordingly - you can work out the ratios of what you use. I was using a 3x10 but changed to a 1x10 because I wasn't using the outer or granny ring
  • worb68
    worb68 Posts: 75
    Last time Giant did it but this time I think ill do the chain and cassette myself. If I was to go for the whole chainset id probably get the LBS to do it.

Been oiling with Wet lube oil as have been riding through most of the winter in some pretty dreadful conditions but have been cleaning when I get home.

I cant say i'm having any gear slippages etc currently but isn't it the longer you leave it the more damage you do. I know I'm quite hard on the gears as I'm not the lightest etc. I also rarely use the big ring, mainly the granny and middle ring only.
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    the more damage you will do - but it is all wearing together - so you can just keep going until it really does fall apart and change the lot.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Cheap steel chain rings last twice as long as expensive aluminium ones.