What exactly is meant by Rich Food

solosuperia
solosuperia Posts: 333
edited April 2014 in The cake stop
My wife is having problems with her gall bladder........
She is on a very restricted diet, no red meat, nothing fried etc etc.
When you use a search engine to research the appropriate diet, a lot of them say no rich food.
There doesn't seem to be a definition for rich food! it would appear to be a very nebulus thing.
Come on what is "Rich Food" ?

Comments

• Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    For gall bladder issues, I always understood that you had to stay off fatty foods. But if you're lucky someone with a gram of medical knowledge (i.e., more than mine) may be able to advise you better
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • I normally understand rich food as being 'rich' in creams, dairy, fats and oils. It's normally what people consider 'heavy' meals.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,442
    What's wrong with food aspiring to be rich? Why are doctors trying to stop it? They must be jealous.
  • Giraffoto
    Can we call a truce in threads like this and get someone who knows what they're talking about to offer some decent dietary advice?
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,731
    Pross wrote:
    What's wrong with food aspiring to be rich? Why are doctors trying to stop it? They must be jealous.

:D
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • Giraffoto wrote:
    Can we call a truce in threads like this and get someone who knows what they're talking about to offer some decent dietary advice?

I eat a lot of rich food, so surely i'm highly qualified in this field?
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    I guess that these are out then !

250px-Rich_tea.jpg
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • random man
    random man Posts: 1,518
    VTech wrote:
    Vtec will be along very soon to correct everyone.

How very nice of you, the guy is posting about his wife's ailment and you think the correct reply is an attack on another forum member, This is exactly why I work hard and make the most of what I can, because some people can't be helped and I would be wasting my time and effort trying too.

As for the OP, I look at it as creams, oils, sugars ?
    I hope she gets the right treatment, my mother spent years having issues being passed from pillar to post until she had a great doc at the QE who did a small op and she was fine for years after with little problem.

Oh dear, I must have been confusing you with someone with a sense of humour :roll:
    No offence to OP but this is a light-hearted forum occupied by cyclists rather than doctors so I would expect him to expect a bit of banter, which is what it was, rather than an attack :roll:
  • Giraffoto
    I wrote:

That appears to be a resounding NO. Very well then. Avoid the caviar and potatoes dauphinoise (no matter how healthy you are - they're both awful) and have good cheap stuff like jacket spuds with baked beans and a salad on the side. And for heaven's sake, ask someone sensible for some proper advice
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,424
    Gall bladders are non vital and if causing recurring gall stones can be removed (by a qualified person, qualified in medicine, not bike maintenance).

Food kind to your gall bladder are...

Fresh fruits and vegetables
    Whole grains (whole-wheat bread, brown rice, oats, bran cereal)
    Lean meat, poultry, and fish
    Low-fat dairy

Or here's a list of things to avoid...

Butter, shortening, margarine and oils
    Full fat dairy products including cheese, ice cream, non-skim milk, heavy cream, whipped cream, non-skim yogurt and sour cream
    Processed, fatty meats like hot dogs, salami, bologna, pepperoni and sausage
    Fatty meats like bacon, marbled beef steaks, duck, lamb, hamburger and non-lean cuts of pork
    Poultry skin
    Fried foods
    Baked goods
    Egg yolks
    Mayonnaise
    Full fat salad dressings or oil and vinegar dressings
    Processed foods like potato chips, crackers and granola bars
    Nuts and nut butters
    Chocolate
    Avocados
    Olives
    Tofu
    Microwave popcorn
    Coconut

Not sure what that leaves :D
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • team47b
    Now that I have answered comprehensively the OP's question can I make humorous remarks about people who are clearly in need of lightening up a touch? :D
  • A good list 47b, where do rice cakes and peanut butter feature?
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • team47b
    A good list 47b, where do rice cakes and peanut butter feature?

Here...

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LCXNYqXODrI
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,294
    team47b wrote:
    Not sure what that leaves :D
    I was going to say that leaves nothing worth having. But had another quick look at the list and I don't think beer was on it. So, live on beer. What could possibly go wrong?
  • Pituophis
    Pituophis Posts: 1,025
    I don't even know what "shortening" is, but I must have eaten plenty! :(
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,312
    I always say, I'm not a Gynecologist but i'll have a good look.

Who say's a competent bike mechanic couldn't have a go?
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!