Freehub Identification

tcr
tcr Posts: 7
edited April 2014 in Workshop
Hi
Looking to order a replacement for this freehub, which is now wobbly and noisy.

It comes from a Carrera with Tiagra Chainset, however there seems to be no markings to identify the wheel, hub, or freehub. :?

I am assuming that the freehub is tiagra, or at least shimano.

Any ideas on freehub brand/type please, as i would like to get, "like for like," or better if possible.

Thank you in advance for your help

Comments

• tcr
    This might help :D
  • mister p
    mister p Posts: 405
    It won't be Shimano, all of their hubs have Shimano on them with a model number FH- something. Sorry, that doesn't help a massive amount.
  • tcr
    Thanks for reply,

Given that it was a shimano cassette that came off, would it be fair to assume that a shimano freehub could replace this, or is it likely to cause problems?
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    tcr wrote:
    Thanks for reply,

Given that it was a shimano cassette that came off, would it be fair to assume that a shimano freehub could replace this, or is it likely to cause problems?
    You assume totally incorrectly.

You need a freehub of the brand of hub.

The pattern on the freehub means nothing other than what pattern cassette fits.

The wheel is a?

The wheel wS fitted to a? Of what year? And spec.........

Or just call up the place you got it wheel/bike and see if they have any spares or when they can get one in for.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • tcr
    Unfortunetly i only have limited info...but the wheel comes from a Carrera Gryphon, i think around or before 2003 White/silver version).
    The bike uses part Tiagra, FSA.
    From research ive already done, names like Formula hubs look a possibilty, but it seems very very differcult to find any info on "older" bikes from halfords.
  • tcr
    Wheel comes from this bike
  • mattsccm
    mattsccm Posts: 409
    Now pull the axle out. I prefer to remove the left cones etc .
    Can you remove the freehub with a big allen key?
    There is a good chance on a less expensive hub of the free hub not being removeable. I have one that looks fine but nothing I try will fit in and bite like an allen key would in a Shimano hub.
    If it does come off you will then have to match the back of it to another hub.
    Bet its a Formula hub.
  • tcr
    Managed to fit a 12mm allen key to the free hub, but would it turn...Not a chance! Read about these things being a bit tight.
    Well im not one for using energy up if the outcome is not worth it, or predictable. As the wheels must be around ten years old, and not especially good, i decided to cut my losses, and got a good deal on some new shimano r500's. While they are only entry level and heavy...they are better and lighter than the old ones and should be more serviceable.
    Thanks for all your replys and advice. :D
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    They look very similar to the hubs on my 2004 Spesh Allez - Spesh's website called them Spesh hubs but they were Formula