MTB mud guards?

HITR14
HITR14 Posts: 7
edited April 2014 in MTB buying advice
Anyone used http://ass-savers.com or http://www.muckynutz.com polypropylene type rear mud guards on an MTB. I know they don't offer the type of protection a lot of bigger guards would offer but I like the idea of unfolding it/taking it out of my bag and protecting myself from soggy arse syndrome? And if you've used the front ones too as I can't see them being affective at all?!

Comments

• abarth_1200
    abarth_1200 Posts: 370
    I've got one on the front, the xl mucky nutz guard and it does work very well, no more muck up my face and chest. Also keeps the crap out the steerer and stanchions pretty well. Fit and forget really.

I also have the saddle mounted ass saver, I'm not totally convinced but it doesn't get in the way, I suppose it does keep mud off your arse so your not sitting on mud all day but it still splatters up my backpack.

I'm thinking about getting another xl guard and fitting it between the rear wheel and seat tube to keep muck off the shock
  • warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    The mucky-nutz requires you to have a bit of speed to work well. Then it stops crap being thrown up into your face (stuff that's thrown forward then you ride into).

The ass-saver-types work surprisingly well. As the name suggests they keep it off your ass, but you still get some spray higher up your back. I don't see the point of mucky nutz on the rear at all, unless your just protecting your shock.
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    The Ass Saver looks like a clever solution, and visually much more interesting that the the MN, just a shame about the cringeworthy name.
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    Mucky Nutz do one that isn't called Ass Saver, If you can live with the name Butt Fender instead.
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    Are mudguards only made by people who like crap jokes?
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    If you're going to run a rear mudguard on a mtb, i think a daft name on it are the least of your worries
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • raldat
    raldat Posts: 242
    I made a mucky nuts style one out of an old white plastic bottle. Worked a treat. I have white forks so it blends right in. Ok, I know the mucky ones are only a few quid, but I had the bottle, a few spare minutes and what is wrong with a little recycling.

I only run it to keep the crap out of my eyes when I am racing and it is really pelting down. It's mountain biking, what's a little mud between friends.
  • Have xl front an normal on rear only use rear to protect shock and make cleaning a bit easier, front to keep shit out my eyes and off the forks. £18 for both I think but I can't fault them simple easy to install and I'd say pretty impossible to break, and if i did somehow break one i wouldn't cry. As it was cheap.
  • HITR14
    HITR14 Posts: 7
    Thanks for your replies everyone - suppose I'll order a couple then. Nice 1
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Just to add, I use the Butt Fender and find it does a decent job of keeping my arris cleaner than it would otherwise be, I'm still trying to fit the front on my (reverse arch) Manitou's!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • abarth_1200
    abarth_1200 Posts: 370
    I think mucky nutz are either in the process are already have made one for reverse forks, have a look on their website