Seatpost

birdie23
birdie23 Posts: 457
edited April 2014 in Workshop
I've been experiencing an annoying creak on my bike when out of the saddle (again!), checked knees and they seem okay! So, I gave my bike a really good clean tonight and thought I'd take out the seatpost, give it a wipe down and clean around the edges of the collar etc (was horrendously gunked up.)

When re-inserting it I absent mindly smeared some assembly grease on it and tightened it up - forgetting that Cube's manual explicitly says not to use grease on their carbon frames. I have since taken the seatpost back out, wiped it clean with a rag and wiped inside the seattube (that I can get at) - am I likely to have caused a problem or any damage? Why do Cube state not to use grease?\

EDIT: Grease in question is Fenwicks, if that makes any difference.
2012 Cube Agree GTC

Comments

• Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    You'll unlikely to have done any lasting damage. There is a small risk that the solvents in certain types of grease may attack the composite matrix, particularly in unlacquered carbon. I've never seen it myself and I've been playing around with carbon for over 20 years - galvanic corrosion between aluminium and carbon is a far more prevalent problem IME. Cube's statement is simply a cop-out - the same reason why you should never use a carbon frame on a turbo trainer or use a fork-mounted roof rack.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • birdie23
    birdie23 Posts: 457
    Thanks Monty
    2012 Cube Agree GTC
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Just watch out in the rain.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote: