spesh fSr pivot bearings issur

crispy1980
crispy1980 Posts: 310
edited April 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
Ho all I sent my bike into lbs to have all the pivot bearings replaced. The shop called back and said that the bushings were worn also? Didn't know there were bushings in the pivots? Thought they were cartridge bearings that sat on the carrier bolts? I can't seem to find any kits that include any mention of bushings?

Comments

• ricardo_smooth
    ricardo_smooth Posts: 1,281
    Are they talking about the shock bushings?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Shock bushings? Ask them.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • crispy1980
    No they shouldn't be touching the shock, only the pivot by the bb and the rear ttriangle pivots. They gave me a link to an eBay seller that is selling a full spesh bearing and bolt kit that they say is what they need? Could they be talking about the bolts that are worn? I'll ring them tomoz to see but I wanted to have some facts incase they are wrong.
  • ricardo_smooth
    What year bike? Link to the kit they've recommended?
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    The shock bushings in fsr bikes are made of cheese. Maybe when they had the bike apart they noticed play in the shock bush.
  • cooldad
    So did you decide what was wrong, or did they check first and tell you. Because unless you've already replaced the bushings, they don't last as long as bearings.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • mattv
    mattv Posts: 992
    Spesh fsr designs have been cartridge bearings fir a long time , maybe even forever. The only bushings are in the shock, which is obvious if it is worn but ONLY when the linkage is together. It is obvious and easy for a decent shop to identify if a bushing is worn, not the frame bearings. Are you sure the shop doesn't mean the bolt kit? This can wear if the bearings are VERY worn and move on the bolts. A spesh dealer should not be advertising and recommending a non gen kit off eBay though when they can get the proper one with the New washers and fittings (usually needed when you swap the bearings) direct from spesh in 36 hours.
  • cooldad
    He said LBS, not Spesh dealer. Without further comment from the OP, I assume he asked them how much to fit if he supplied the bearings.
    And some aftermarket bearing kits are better than OE.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • crispy1980
    !sorry for the late reply. The shop sent me a link fir a genuine bolt and bearing kit that was brand new in packet. I offered the guy £25 which he took and hand delivered the sane day! Mega bargain. It is the bolts that they were referring to as bushings, which I suppose they are. Anyway, should be ready for tomoz which is ideal as its coed y brenin next week!!
  • ricardo_smooth
    Moral of the story, replace your bearings more often if you're wearing away the bolts!
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Bolts and bushes are very different things.
  • crispy1980
    Well I droppwd the kit off at the shop and picked the bike up next day. They have fitted everything, changed everything for 20 quid! Didn't speak to the mechanic as he wasn't there, so nit sure what the problem was. Although there are some conical spacers in there, perhaps this was the issue. Either way in happy, complete new bearings and bolts fully fitted for 45 total costs. Excellent!