Any advice on Gallium Argon 18?

tigertang0
tigertang0 Posts: 33
edited April 2014 in Road buying advice
Hi! I recently rode an Argon 18 Gallium Pro, wondering of anyone owns one of these? It was stiff, comfy and my favorite thing was how I can point and shoot and it goes where i want it. However it is over my budget right now and would like to know how a regular Gallium rides compared to it. If the Pro is worth it, I would continue saving but if the gallium is good enough i will get better wheels. Thanks alot folks!
Battaglin 3 Cime
Jamis Exile race 29er
Schwinn Madison

Comments

• dempsey1
    dempsey1 Posts: 320
    I, ve got a gallium (not pro) and really rate it, pretty light and corners on rails due to the 3d head system. I, ve had a wilier cento and cervelo r3 in the past. Better than the wilier but not as good as the r3! My advice is go for the non pro as it really is a great frame
  • A mate bought one recently and its lovely. BEWARE he kind of lent it over / dropped it in his garage and it landed on something that cracked the frame and it was brand new.....never ridden (i kid you not) Argon didn't even want to know about helping out at all or any kind of goodwill gesture at cost or anything (i guess its not their fault) but still he got it covered under house insurance. Anyway what I'm saying is that to make that frame so light the carbon fibres are very brittle and clearly there is not the kind of goodwill you may find with some other manufactures at argon..... should it have cracked that easily? I have been thinking of a cervelo recently and just watched a youtube clip on the new s3. The man from cervelo is being interviewed and comments on the carbon they used wasn't the lightest for that particular frame as they wanted it to be more robust. So I think there should be real caution with these super light frame sets coming out!!! lovely frame though
  • sorry it was the new pro. Im looking at the new cervelo R3
  • haveitmyson: Thats a pity, must have hit a sharp edge of something.
    I rode the R3 too, nice ride. But i prefer the muscular feel of the gallium, the R3 is a good climber`s bike though.
    Battaglin 3 Cime
    Jamis Exile race 29er
    Schwinn Madison
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    A mate bought one recently and its lovely. BEWARE he kind of lent it over / dropped it in his garage and it landed on something that cracked the frame and it was brand new.....never ridden (i kid you not) Argon didn't even want to know about helping out at all or any kind of goodwill gesture at cost or anything (i guess its not their fault) but still he got it covered under house insurance. Anyway what I'm saying is that to make that frame so light the carbon fibres are very brittle and clearly there is not the kind of goodwill you may find with some other manufactures at argon..... should it have cracked that easily? I have been thinking of a cervelo recently and just watched a youtube clip on the new s3. The man from cervelo is being interviewed and comments on the carbon they used wasn't the lightest for that particular frame as they wanted it to be more robust. So I think there should be real caution with these super light frame sets coming out!!! lovely frame though

I know someone who lent their bike against something in the garage, it fell and took a hard sideways knock on the top tube and that broke it. The carbon is not supposed to be strong in all directions and of course it doesn't relate to any of the forces that go through the bike while riding it.