Disk Brake Wheelset, strong, cheap, light

arthur_scrimshaw
arthur_scrimshaw Posts: 2,596
edited April 2014 in Road buying advice
Yes I want all three!

I've got a Boardman CX wth the original Bontrager OCR wheelset, I'm running Vittoria Randonneur Pro2's on them and looking go for something a bit lighter but still need the strength. I'm using it for an unsupported Jogle in early June and will be loaded up although not excessively, but the wheels are hefty and I'm sure a lighter pair would be a benefit even to me. Is it possible to go handbuilt for £200 - £250 or go for something like the Kinesis Crosslights?

Comments

• A few are using these with no problems so far.

http://www.merlincycles.com/kinesis-cro ... 68254.html
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    If it's unsupported you don't want light wheels, but wheels that can cope with 10 days worth of luggage. I would not recommend the Crosslight for that. Keep what you've got and get them checked before departure
    left the forum March 2023
  • If it's unsupported you don't want light wheels, but wheels that can cope with 10 days worth of luggage. I would not recommend the Crosslight for that. Keep what you've got and get them checked before departure
    Thanks ugo, they are bulletproof but the freehub is a bit suspect so will probably replace that before I go and replace the cones and ball bearings.
  • mattv
    mattv Posts: 992
    Get some XT hubs built onto a Mavic touring or DT 29er rim. 32 hole, dt comp spokes. Should be well under £200 and strong but serviceable.
  • American classic TCX, not very light though but cheap and strong.
    Battaglin 3 Cime
    Jamis Exile race 29er
    Schwinn Madison
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    Seems appropriate to mention, especially as you're using a Bontrager wheelset;

"Strong, light, cheap - pick two".
  • dodgy wrote:
    Seems appropriate to mention, especially as you're using a Bontrager wheelset;

"Strong, light, cheap - pick two".

:lol: hence my thread title, always liked that quote!
  • holiver
    holiver Posts: 729
    I am contemplating the same. Am looking at possibly using some MTB rims - the WTB Frequency Team i19 rims come in at 406g apparently and are only £45 each.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    I'd go for for XT hubs on DT Swiss 465D 29er rims Done that before not too heavy (about 2kg) but they are proper off road wheels.

Holiver if you want really light and it for road use only, you are not too heavy and you are using narrow tyres then there is the Ryde Pulse Comp that rim is 337g.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.