Recognise this sound?

islwyn
islwyn Posts: 650
edited April 2014 in Workshop
https://soundcloud.com/ashleybardldn/bike-creaking

This is the nasty sound from my crank area...

Have you had this sound & fixed? I've removed the crank & arms, cleaned & regreased, it kinda helped but only for about a day before the noise returned.

I've also checked pedals.

Oddly the noise did dramatically degrease in the rain?

Comments

• The Mechanic
    The Mechanic Posts: 1,277
    Link doesn't seem to work on my computer.
    I have only two things to say to that; Bo***cks
  • islwyn
    Annoying, sorry.

Try this one.

http://snd.sc/1qWNtYU
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Difficult to tell without seeing it as well - can't tell cadence, where the clicks occur or anything.

Would be helpful to know what kit it is - BB30, HTII, SquareTaper - what cranks, what pedals, what shoes ...

Is it occurring under load or all times?
    Can you replicate on the workstand?
  • islwyn
    edited April 2014
    Louder and more aggressive with more force. 105 chainset with HTII bb. Can replicate on turbo, no sound on freewheeling.

Look Keo cleats, same sound with other shoes too.

When peddling with right leg only I cant replicate the sound but left only I can.
  • slowbike
    How old is the BB, what sort of miles and weathers?
  • islwyn
    Slowbike wrote:
    How old is the BB, what sort of miles and weathers?

Yeh... Well... :oops:

It's the commuter bike that's had the BB replaced once in just under 7000 miles (Inc wet).. Now I know you just dropped your coffee on your desk and are thinking 'WELL THAT'S OBVIOUSLY IT.' But do you seriously think it is? I'm more than happy to swap it over if needs be but there's zero play in the arms.

Just find it odd that it seems left side only.
  • slowbike
    It does sound like you have some cack in the bb. Sounds the same as my commuter did before I cleaned the HTII bracket. Perhaps the cack in mine was easier to clear out or I got lucky .....

What did u clean and re-lube it with?
  • islwyn
    cleaned with a good clean rag and some mucoff degreaser, then greased with TF2 Lithium Grease.
  • mitchgixer6
    mitchgixer6 Posts: 729
    New BB. They're not expensive, you can pick one up for £12!
  • islwyn
    New BB. They're not expensive, you can pick one up for £12!

Chain Reactions £9.49 in the sale! One purchased... Forgot the thread type from last time I switch it and couldn't be bothered to take it all off to check so taking a shot at the 68mm English thread. (BMC SR02)
  • mitchgixer6
    mitchgixer6 Posts: 729
    Even cheaper then. I don't have a BMC but pretty certain that'll be English thread.