which fork?

Dawesy92
Dawesy92 Posts: 606
edited April 2014 in MTB buying advice
Right so im looking to get a new bike (Trek Remedy 650b) I'd rather have the 9 but ive got no chance of affording that, so which model, Im not sure which model 7 or 8, the 7 comes with 140mm revelations RL the 8 comes with Fox 140mm 34 CTD Evolutions. Brakes dont matter as I'll be putting my xt brakes on, so which fork is better??

Help me choose! :(

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    'Better'? Personally I'd have the Revs.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Dawesy92
    I thought that would be the case, im tempted as that ones 500quid less. Saving like that I can make some changes and then buy a reverb :)
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Revelations are much better and more reliable.
  • Dawesy92
    So by that then would you suggest getting the remedy 7 wuth the revelations and then when funds allow also get a monarch shock for the rear as opposed to the fox? Also may be a daft question do you revaltions have lockout?
  • rockmonkeysc
    Fox shocks are good enough but the evolution series forks are terrible.
    My Revelations have a lockout but I never feel the need to use it. The Revelation RL on the remedy 7 does have lockout.
  • Cqc
    Cqc Posts: 951
    L stands for lockout
  • Dawesy92
    Okay cheers. So you guys all think I'd be better off with the remedy 7 then, just gotta decide the size, tested one this weekend butvwas the remeedy 9 and thats all they had to demo (same frame different components) felt reslly nice to ridebjust the frame was too small, 18.5" frame, im 6ft 1" & 33" inside leg would I be better with the 19.5" or the 20.5"??
  • rockmonkeysc
    No one can tell you what size you need. Im 6'1" with a 33" inside leg as well and I would go for the 20.5" because I like a long top tube but you might not. You need a test ride on the right size.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    RL forks also have low speed compression adjustment, unless are poploc equipped.
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    im over 6'12 and have 34" inside leg and find im on a 17-18" most of the time due to prefering a smaller bike(short upper body it seems) everyone is physically different so test ride!
  • Dawesy92
    Okay cheers, I think im gonna go for yhe Remedy 7, as that way I can keep my on one inbred for riding to work and that way I can put my xt brakes on and my sram x9 gearing but im tempted tp change it to 1x10 on the remedy as it so muvh easier to ride than my inbred, so possibly put all the shimano stuff on the other bike to comute on!

Think thats the plan anyway..
  • rockmonkeysc
    im over 6'12 and have 34" inside leg and find im on a 17-18" most of the time due to prefering a smaller bike(short upper body it seems) everyone is physically different so test ride!

Isn't 6'12" the same as 7'0"? If your that tall and only have a 34" inside leg you should be in a freak show. Or are you measuring your inside leg only as far as the tip of your gentleman sausage?
  • Dawesy92
    only other thing. will the revelations not be felxy with them only being 32mm stantions?
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Depends on many other factors. Your weight, axle/steerer, how you ride, etc.
  • Dawesy92
    100kg
    15mm maxle
    Tapered steerer
    Not massively hard but spirited riding.. :)
  • rockmonkeysc
    You shouldn't find them too flexy. I can get mine to flex but it takes some ham fisted abuse.
    A bigger fork may be stiffer but it will be heavier as well.
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594

Isn't 6'12" the same as 7'0"? If your that tall and only have a 34" inside leg you should be in a freak show. Or are you measuring your inside leg only as far as the tip of your gentleman sausage?

Woops minor typo! lol 6'2" i would be immensly tall! kinda wishing i was now! and i would have a huge gentlemans sausage at that!

but it does illustrate that we are similar heights but have a completely different size of bike to ride, which is wha ti was trying to get accross rather poorly.
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    buy the revs, sell them, buy some pikes.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • Dawesy92
    Haha, I'd love some pikes but that may have to be a later on upgrade.. :)

Think thats me sorted then. Just gotta sort the cash now... :) hopfully order her next weekend! :-)

Thanks lads!
  • Dawesy92
    I know its not the right topic but does anyone know what BB style these frames are?? Are they threaded or press-fit?