New square taper triple

jbloggs123
jbloggs123 Posts: 4
edited April 2014 in Workshop
Does anyone know anywhere I can order a 9sp, 175mm, 50/39/30 square taper crank from as my Google Fu seems to be lacking on this one?

Thanks

Comments

• Wow - Is there anything that doesn't give my wallet a heart attck?

Seriously though....why are these so hard to find? - They're on practically every new bike in the £500-£700 range from the major manufacturers. You'd have thought they were an off the shelf item?

Thanks
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    I have a second hand sora one (8 speed - but it makes no difference) although I think it's 172.5mm cranks ...

Actually, I think it's a 30/42/52 - so not quite what you're after .. but it's a darn site cheaper! ;)
  • jomoj
    jomoj Posts: 777
    does it have to be square taper? Chances are you could find a newer triple crank + bottom bracket for a more reasonable price - unless you've invested heavily in a fancy square taper BB.
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Square taper > almost everything else.

Try SJS Cycles too. You don't necessarily need to go for 9-speed - chainsets are pretty catholic about the chain.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Spa cycles are tops!
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    jbloggs123 wrote:
    Wow - Is there anything that doesn't give my wallet a heart attck?

Yes - but Vorsprung linked to one of the most expensive!

This one is £35 which should be a bit less wallet busting. The price is really down to the ring spec - the Cranks themselves are similar irrc.

http://www.spacycles.co.uk/products.php?plid=m2b0s109p2000

I had one built up that I think was about £75 all in - I used Stronglight Zicral for the two larger rings and the cheaper Dural for the small ring as I hardly ever use it. You can spec what you like with Spa.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • jomoj - I thought about that too but I like the fit and forget nature of the current setup (Well....forget other than having to replace part of it but that's another story). Unless I've misunderstood then hollowtech would fit but requires regular cleaning and I'd need to have my BB shell faced as well

DesWeller - Thanks for that - looking now

Rolf F - I may well give Spa a ring to see what they can do. I'd seen that one but it's listed at 48/38/28. I know there's not a lot in it but..........
  • jomoj
    jomoj Posts: 777
    Jbloggs - there's no reason why hollowtech, gxp or similar would be higher maintenance so I'm not sure where you heard that. Unless your bb is really wonky then it may not need facing either. Your choice though obviously. I like the newer types because you can take them apart with only an Allen key and they just seem more robust than square taper.
  • onbike 1939
    onbike 1939 Posts: 708
    jomoj wrote:
    Jbloggs - there's no reason why hollowtech, gxp or similar would be higher maintenance so I'm not sure where you heard that. Unless your bb is really wonky then it may not need facing either. Your choice though obviously. I like the newer types because you can take them apart with only an Allen key and they just seem more robust than square taper.

Square taper has been around for a very, very long time and have proved to be very durable and robust in practice, more so than many, if not all of the modern equivalents.
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    jomoj wrote:

It's my experience that hollowtech are higher maintenance than square taper

Mid price (105 or Tigra grade) hollowtech fails for me after 5,000 miles or so. A UN55 or similar can do much better than that.

Best bike now has an expensive Hope external stainless steel bearing on it which means I can use the hollowtech
    chainset but won't fall to bits every year.