Converting a Strava activity to GPX?

dagza
dagza Posts: 52
edited May 2014 in MTB general
Hello,

A strava activity on my phone is 'stuck' and wont sync. I have followed the log out / reset phone / try wi-fi / try 3G advice and that hasn't worked. Strava support are not being especially supportive. I was on a demo bike so keen to salvage this one for comparison.

The thing is I have extracted the file from my phone to my computer but it would appear that the Strava website does not accept it's own stravactivity file type as an upload!

Anybody know an easy way to convert a stravactivity file to GPX so I can manually upload it to the strava website?

If not, I am happy going through the file in a spreadsheet using find/replace to create the tags but I'm not really sure where to start. Especially as the time looks strange in the strava file compared with a GPX file I have here.

This is the first couple of lines of the stravactivity file. Would should it look lilke as a GPX file?

strt: t:418731583.486067
wp: lat:55.646031; long:-3.137864; hacc:5.000000; vacc:12.000000; alt:182.354370; speed:0.000000; course:359.648438; t:1397038784.194016; dt:1397038784.199867

Any help would be extremely welcome!

Dagza
--
Darren

Comments

• I use this web site to covert file formats,sure there will be a conversion tool to help you.

http://www.gpsies.com/convert.do;jsessi ... C732A8D806
  • dagza
    Thanks for the reply.

"Sorry, the file format was not recognized."

:-(

I'll drop them an email to see if they can help. Strava have been very quiet after telling me to just log out and back in a again.
    --
    Darren
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,485
    I doubt you'll find a converter as few people will have extracted raw Strava data from their phone with a view to doing this. If you are a good coder, you might have some joy with re-formatting it into a GPX xml file, but otherwise it would be a very long and tedious process.

If your phone is offline, can you still "see" it on the Strava mobile app? Which version of Strava is it on? I'd be happy to have the file emailed to me and log out of my own strava account and try to drop this one in in case my phone / app can upload it - and then download the GPX and mail it back to you?

Are you on Android or iPhone? Which version of Strava?
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • larkim
    Actually, just checked my strava phone app (Android) - when I record a session without 3G or Wifi connected, it says that I have one un-sync'd activity. I click on that, and then I have the option to "export" or delete it. Exporting it creates a GPX file. Would that work for you?
  • dagza
    On the iphone I only have the option to delete it.

I will try copying the file on to an android phone and try it from the strava app there.

Cheers.
    --
    Darren
  • larkim
    I've got an iPad at home which I could test this out on - if you want I can pm an email address to you and if you can mail over the file plus the location in which you find it on the iPhone then I can see if it will upload on a different account.

I doubt it would work on Android as there is bound to be some sort of file incompatibility.

Let me know if you are interested in going down this route.

Matt
  • did you sort this after??
    i had same problem and just fixed it!!!!
    open the bad / unsyncing activity in note pad
    also open a good activity
    the activity should begin "strt: t:"
    delete anything that looks like "paus: type:0 t"

then save back to phone
    log out of app , restart phone (press and hold lock and home button)
    then re sign into app
    acitvity will then sync and upload :@)
  • Ferrals
    Ferrals Posts: 785
    I had this too this arvo but ended up just deleting the file, I'll know what to do next time now! Cheers!