Boardman Sport MX 2014 vs Cannnondale Quick CX5

r3hxn
r3hxn Posts: 127
edited April 2014 in MTB buying advice
Hi Guys,

complete Newbie here, looking to get back into riding after 10 years of not being on a bike :o
Buying a bike through the Cycle2work scheme and narrowed it to 2 , just need some advice.

Intended Use: Local roads, parks, with kids, some forest Trails and maybe some slightly more difficult terrain in Epping forest area, although I wont be initially commuting to work, I want the option open to be able to do so, hence I have narrowed it to a Hybrid bike.. budget - £500 (although can stretch, but thats what I am comfortable at)

It may sound a little petty, but aesthetics did have a large part to play in narrowing it to a

Boardman Sport Mx from halfords

Or

Cannondale Quick CX 5 from Evanscycles

From all the reading I have been able to do, I understand that the Boardman is a better spec and value for the money, (to a newbie like I, the only obvious big spec difference is the brakes on the Boardman are discs).
whilst the Cannondale I may be paying for the Brand name a little, but the Frames are generally better..
I was all fine with the Boardman until a lot of people said halfords suck at supplying bikes and to avoid them, so now I am in 2 minds about which to buy.
I have struggled to find the weight of the Cannondale bike so cannot compare which is lighter.
Any advice would be much appreciated, anyone who knows their specifics who can break down the specs a bit more would be great.

Any thoughts?

Boardman Race mx

Cannondale quick cx 5

or

Cannondale quick Cx 2

thanks for reading.

Cannondale Cx2 Hybrid
Scott Scale - Custom mtb - Work in progress

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Halfords can be good or bad like all bike shops. The shop I got my boardman from was very good.
    The Boardman frames are very good quality, cannondale frames are as good but not significantly better to make it worth going for the lower spec.
  • r3hxn
    thanks. Hearing a positive story does put my mind at ease a little.

I do know what you mean by some stores will be better than others, when I saw the mechanic trying to problem solve my kids bike at my local store it just blew away all faith I had. However, on the other side of london near my Workplace, their staff seemed much more competent when asking question of them. However, in both they seemed very young and inexperienced. If you know of a London halfords store where you know the staff is fully capable, that too would be of help as I will get it built there.

thanks

Cannondale Cx2 Hybrid
  • 3 bikes from Halfords all well set up. For what it's worth Guildford store seemed clued up.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    There's not much set up to do in the shop on a new bike. Just give it a good check over when you get home and put right anything which needs sorting.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Do you really have access to both Halford's scheme and Evans' scheme through work? Most would have only one supplier.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • r3hxn
    Its funny you say that...I just had a look, our window to purchase opens at end of the month.

We used to only have Halfords as the retailer, but the site now shows a dozen family owned cycle shops ( including Evans) but no Halfords. Have emailed our HR to clarify, but that would certainly make the decision for me.

Have been looking at the Cannondale CX2 also for a jump of £299 ( CX5 is £500) But I just cant find enough information about it. No extensive reviews of either.

Cannondale Cx2 Hybrid
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    When asking about bikes, please add links so everyone else doesn't have to find them!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • r3hxn
    Apologies...

cant see an edit button for original post but here are the links
    EDIT: For some reason, they magically appeared after I posted this message. maybe a browser thing.

Boardman Race mx

Cannondale quick cx 5

or

Cannondale quick Cx 2

Having read a bit more, I am also wavering on the Hybrid side of things and thinking about just straight up Mountain bike. My only reservation is, IF I wanted to very occasionally take a trip off road, lets say the new Mountain bike trails at the Olympic park in london (its close to me) would it be suitable? I've only ever road a mountain bike with fat wheels in the past, the skinnier tires are a bit intimidating.

once again, thanks for putting up with newbie questions.

Cannondale Cx2 Hybrid