M6 fine Nyloc nuts on a Thule rack

Giraffoto
Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
edited April 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
I've bought myself a nice new Thule roof rack and a couple of cycle carriers to mount on it. The cycle carriers mount to the bars (Wing Bars, by the way) with a unique bolt that fits in a channel in the bar and a quick-release over centre lever to tighten the whole thing in place. Now, if you wanted to steal the cycle carrier (and possibly any bike that's on it) you'd have to flip up the QR levers, give it a pull sideways and you've got it off. The locks that fit on the QR levers don't inspire confidence, either - a thief could break them off fairly easily. Now to the question: if I can source some M6 fine thread nyloc nuts, is there any reason why they would be a less secure fitting than the original QR levers? I don't mind the carriers being semi-permanently attached to the bars, I just don't particularly want them stolen.

As a secondary question, who knew that "Thule" was pronounced "Too-Lay"? I'd guessed "Th-ool"
Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
XM-057 rigid 29er

Comments

• bailsofhay
    bailsofhay Posts: 191
    What is the tread pitch on the bolts? If it's 1mm these should do.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bolt-Base-Stain ... ylock+nuts
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    M6 fine is 0.75mm pitch. I've got a drawer full of the 1.0mm ones.

An update for the hordes of people who've chipped in to this fascinating thread. It turns out that M6 x 0.75mm nuts (the size that would fit on the t-bolts) are available either in lots of a thousand, or at a price that suggests you're getting a thousand. £2.79 is not what you should pay for a nut that you could swallow with no ill effects. So I'll stick with those QR levers for the moment . . .
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • bailsofhay
    bailsofhay Posts: 191
    You could make your own the way they make aircraft lock nuts from a non nyloc type one.
    http://www.instructables.com/id/Where-t ... k-Locknut/

or just use 2 standard ones together