Looking for new wheels

abarth_1200
abarth_1200 Posts: 370
edited April 2014 in MTB buying advice
Hi guys, recently had my rear wheel off to repack the bearings and change the tyre, surprised how heavy was. On off hub and dt Swiss x430 rims.

Couple of questions, will a lighter rear wheel help me spin up those long hills easier better than changing the front wheel, as I understand the lighter it is the less effort required to make it roll and as the power goes to the rear this is more worthwhile upgrading first.

Also would I need a quick release hub to fit my frame or is there some new better hub I'm missing out on that fits older frames, bike is a 2011 Mondraker Factor r.

Any brands/shops to look at in particular.

Budget is about 150 mainly ride xc and trails but would like a wheel strong enough to take a drop, I'm 90 kg kitted up

Comments

• jimothy78
    jimothy78 Posts: 1,407
    That's not a particularly heavy rim - you'll save more weight by careful choice of tyre (especially on the rear where you can use a less aggressive tread pattern than on the front). Going much lighter without compromising on strength is likely to cost more than £150. What tyres are you running at the moment?

If you decide that you do want to splurge on a new wheel anyway, then yes, you'll need to stick to a 10mm qr hub unles your frame offers replacable dropout options.
  • abarth_1200
    Swapped my rapid robs that came on the bike for Smart Sams as they were sitting in the garage and wanted something better than those rapid robs, tyre weight was something like 660 grams and using lightweight conti tubes.

I was affraid my budget wouldn't stretch to a better lighter wheel. How much are we looking here, £200?
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Have you looked and researched? You seem well up in the tyre weights ect
  • abarth_1200
    By well up you mean heavy. Yes I have researched, nobby nicks a well regarded xc tyre weighs 580 grams. How much lighter do I need to be looking at before I'm risking punctures due to flimsy tyres
  • jimothy78
    jimothy78 Posts: 1,407
    I was affraid my budget wouldn't stretch to a better lighter wheel. How much are we looking here, £200?

Like i said earlier, I don't think it's worth worrying about buying new wheels to save a few grams - wait until something like this happens to you:
    https://scontent-b-lhr.xx.fbcdn.net/hph ... 1785_n.jpg
    (picture (and damage) by Welshkev, also of this forum - sure he won't mind ;))
    Incidentally, that's a DT swiss ex500 - so a beefier rim than yours, and Kev's probably about the same weight as you.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The 430 is only about 55g heavier than an 'amongst the lightest' alloy rims (I have 375g Ryde Edge 7's), not really worth changing, you can look at Schwalbe Rocket Ron's or Racing Ralphs which are both circa 460-470g and I use 130g (135g advertised) conti lightweight tubes (that tube is about 70g lighter than a normal one for a lot less money than changing the rim), neither punctures due to a 'flimsy tyre' but both will be more prone to sidewall cuts.

To make life easier
    1374843_620406301371821_3347204187998571785_n.jpg
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.