Sticky Shimano 105 5700 lever - Not returning

AndrewWilliams9
AndrewWilliams9 Posts: 5
edited April 2014 in Workshop
Hi all, been reading the forums for a couple of years now, but run into a problem I can't find the answer for, so signed up.

I bought a Cannondale CAADX 105 in January, but recently the right shifter is not returning back to it's original start position, as if the spring inside has gone weak. I have to manual push the lever back into place.

I've tried suggestions of flushing out with GT85, and also released the cable from the rear derailleur to make sure the cable is running freely inside the housing.

The bike has never been dropped or crashed, so no physical damage has been done to the shifter. The brake part works fine.

I've made a (not very good) video to show the problem

http://youtu.be/hvzX1uMGB-0

Any suggestions on what the problem could be or what to try next?

ps, I have emailed the company I bought the bike from today, to see what they say.

Thanks

Comments

• brownbosh
    brownbosh Posts: 602
    frayed cable
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    brownbosh wrote:
    frayed cable

Very likely to be the cause I would agree.

Pop the inner out and check it. Replace it anyway (for the sake of £1 of cable).
  • If the inner cable was completely removed, should the lever pull back into position on its own? or does the lever need the inner cable to pull the lever back?

Edit, looking on youtube it seems the lever should click back into position without any cable attached
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmUx1iL6WvQ
    Mine doesn't :(

I've loosened the cable from rear, and took off the little inspection hatch on the lever, and the cable seems to move freely to me.

Also how common is it to get a frayed cable on a 3 month old bike? (500 miles)
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    If the inner cable was completely removed, should the lever pull back into position on its own? or does the lever need the inner cable to pull the lever back?

Edit, looking on youtube it seems the lever should click back into position without any cable attached
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmUx1iL6WvQ
    Mine doesn't :(

I've loosened the cable from rear, and took off the little inspection hatch on the lever, and the cable seems to move freely to me.

Also how common is it to get a frayed cable on a 3 month old bike? (500 miles)

It is worth replacing inner and outer to see if any improvement...
    I had this on Ultegra LH shifter where you had to push the lever back after shifting.
    It was after a bad winter that despite a cleaning regime, took its toll on the shifter.
    No amount of cleaning components or new cables made any difference whatsoever, so I actually replaced the shifters with 105.
    For a few quid and an hours work, give it a go.
  • Thanks,
    JGSI wrote:
    No amount of cleaning components or new cables made any difference whatsoever, so I actually replaced the shifters with 105.

Doesn't sound very promising :(