New Colnago 2009 or 2014 Canyon or something?

on-yer-bike
on-yer-bike Posts: 2,974
edited April 2014 in Road buying advice
I picked up a brand new Colnago Extreme Power 2009 that has never been built for what appeared to be a good price. Now I'm not sure if it was such a clever move. Compared to a 2014 Canyon or something else with tapered headtube, internal cable routing and internal BB, isn't it a bit vintage? A Canyon would be literally twice the price. I havent got the power to test the stiffness of a BB. Im faster than most at descending and have never noticed any handling problems on bikes with straight headtubes. There's something about an Italian Colnago though and Ive been told that this frame is pretty comfortable over long distances for a full on race frame.
Pegoretti
Colnago
Cervelo
Campagnolo

Comments

• on-yer-bike
    Sorry, I know it sounds like Ive answered my own question but I still have nagging doubts.
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo
  • ivanoile
    ivanoile Posts: 202
    Internal routing - unnecessary
    Internal BB- I have 2 new 2013 bikes and I would love to go back to external BB,after sound issues with BB30 and BB90
    Also Colnago is a bit more iconic name than Canyon,everything else is up to you.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    I would have a good look in the mirror and consider whether you do have the necessary power to flex an EP frame... maybe I am a bit pessimistic... but I doubt.

There is also a slight difference. Over the past few years carbon frames have become lighter, but they have also become prone to cracks and failures which older frames seem to be immune from.
    5 years ago a sub Kg frame was a light wonder, these days frames are 30% lighter, yet there hasn't been enough advancement in the material or in the manufacturing to back up such dramatic weight loss... in fact I wonder whether there has been any advancement at all... hence they are only worse than they were 5 years ago.
    AFAIK the EP was a good frame
    left the forum March 2023
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    edited April 2014
    depends which size and colourscheme OP, cos some just look cack .....
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    I have an extreme power. Best bike I've owned. Far nicer than the R3 with lots of modern features I had.
    I get a real sense of satisfaction whenever I ride it.

787E7D37-A114-458A-9843-4F94725C59B0-4638-0000065E27A03F82_zps31aa6b29.jpg
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • cal_stewart
    cal_stewart Posts: 1,840
    Just got a semi
    eating parmos since 1981

Canyon Ultimate CF SLX Aero 09
    Cervelo P5 EPS
    www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40044&t=13038799
  • TBF fair the R3 is quite a dated frame design
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • Miles253
    Miles253 Posts: 535
    NapoleonD wrote:
    I have an extreme power. Best bike I've owned. Far nicer than the R3 with lots of modern features I had.

I love a good beefy modern frame, but that is gorgeous, especially with SR. I would stick with the Colnago, especially as you already have the frame and build it up with Campagnolo and some nice wheels.
    Canyon Roadlite AL-Shamal Wheels-Centaur/Veloce Group
    Canyon Ult CF SL- Spin Koppenberg-Ultegra group
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    Miles253 wrote:
    NapoleonD wrote:

I love a good beefy modern frame, but that is gorgeous, especially with SR. I would stick with the Colnago, especially as you already have the frame and build it up with Campagnolo and some nice wheels.

THat one is a modern frame... :shock:
    left the forum March 2023
  • on-yer-bike
    This is the frame in question: http://www.racycles.com/products/detail/26792
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo
  • Velonutter
    Velonutter Posts: 2,437
    The Extreme Power are a lovely frame and I doubt that most Colnago riders could distinguish between the EP and EPS/Q or even the C59 frames.

Ride that EP with Pride, enjoy it and I bet you'll never get rid of it, smooth and beautiful handling, iconic :-)
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    giant man wrote:
    depends which size and colourscheme OP, cos some just look cack .....

And of course you'd be more than happy to take it off his hands if it's the "wrong" one! ;)
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • Get the PR38 (?, not 82?) and be done with it.

The paint is classic 'Nag but the frame underneath is bike enuf for anyone on this forum. Kind of like the new Jag F-type. Modern but with a nod to tradition.

Colnago went for a thicker carbon layup in these frames, a cracked modern German frame I saw (or it was a Focus) was all of 1 mm thick. Top materials and top layup I'm certain, but don't deal with stresses they're not designed for as well.
    The titifers have sung their song.

Now it's time for sleep.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Somebody is having to think about whether to buy a lugged carbon frame or a mass produced monocoque?!! How easy can a decision be?! :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Spudboy
    Spudboy Posts: 101
    If the EP was stiff enough for Eric Zabel I would wager it will be stiff enough for us mortals. A Canyon is doutless a great bike but is somehow souless. You won't regret the decision to keep the EP. Plus, in a few years time the Canyon will look a little dated whereas the Colnago will still look timeless. Just look at Nap's EP - immense.
  • on-yer-bike
    Thanks for all your comments. Its strange, that despite commonsense, how susceptible we are to marketing hype, especially when its to do with our hobby. All rational thoughts go out the window.
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo
  • Ignore the hype-machine bullshoite. I'd take that EP frame over three Canyons...