Fulcrum Quattro vs Ultegra wh-6800

karstenk
karstenk Posts: 9
edited March 2016 in Road buying advice
Hi

Which wheel should I choose for racing? I'm leaning towards the Fulcrums because of better Aero (I think), better price and they look better :-)

I'm not heaving and doesn't have a great max power, so I'm assuming both wheels are strong enough for me.

Thanks for your advice.

Comments

• ivanoile
    ivanoile Posts: 202
    Ultegra,if the price is the same.No aero advantage you can feel with Quattro,altough they are great set of wheels for a lower price,maybe a bit heavy.
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    The Quattros are stiff and look great... not sure about any noticeable aero advantage though. They also carry a lot of weight in the rim so can feel a bit sluggish! Still love mine, because they're so stiff!
  • jamie_m_
    jamie_m_ Posts: 3
    I have both. The Ultegras came on my CX bike and I got a set of Quattros so I could have CX tyres on one wheelset for racing and road tyres on the other for commuting. After a year of swapping in and out and changing which wheelset had which tyres I can not say there is much difference for my riding of 2 hours CX racing on the weekend and 10 miles each way commute in London traffic.

Maintenance is different. The Ultegras drift out of true annoyingly often and because they are tubeless getting tyres on/off the rims is way more difficult than the Quattros.

It seems that the free hub is softer on the quattros and the cassette 'digs in' leaving notches when I finally remove it.
  • dwanes
    dwanes Posts: 954
    Ultegra are Quality, Quattros are not Quality.