Avid juicy 3 brakes

jamesjones4444
jamesjones4444 Posts: 4
edited April 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi there,

for the past 6 months my avid juicy brake bolts have worn away and have been unable to loosen them too take them off, which hasn't been an issue up until now as I need to swap a shifter. Jw if people knew the best way to take them off and where I could buy replacements. Looked on UKBikesore and Chainreaction but have had no look. Any help will be welcomed,

Thanks
James

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Hi there,

for the past 6 months my avid juicy brake bolts have worn away and have been unable to loosen them too take them off, which hasn't been an issue up until now as I need to swap a shifter. Jw if people knew the best way to take them off and where I could buy replacements. Looked on UKBikesore and Chainreaction but have had no look. Any help will be welcomed,

Thanks
    James

So which bolts are these. There are upto six bolts on a juicy brake set up you could be losening of tightening per side but none ghost should wear out.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    There are various ways to remove a rounded hex socket screw. If your lucky you may be able to hammer in a torx bit. If that doesn't work you might be able to make a small saw cut and use a flat blade screw drivers. If that doesn't work then you need bolt extractors which are basically a left handed, tapered tap.
  • nicklouse wrote:
    Hi there,

Thanks
    James

So which bolts are these. There are upto six bolts on a juicy brake set up you could be losening of tightening per side but none ghost should wear out.

Hi there,

maybe i wasn't clear sorry I meant the bolts that actually hold the brakes onto the bars that allow you to secure and take them off. Its the actual head where the allan key goes which has been worn away by trying to loosen them to take of previously
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Same advice applies to getting them out, they've not worn though but been damaged by poor technique, usually the hex not being put in straight due to other things in the way, worth getting ball ended for the next time.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • There are various ways to remove a rounded hex socket screw. If your lucky you may be able to hammer in a torx bit. If that doesn't work you might be able to make a small saw cut and use a flat blade screw drivers. If that doesn't work then you need bolt extractors which are basically a left handed, tapered tap.

Thankyou... will head to the shed tonight see what I can do.

Do you know where I could possibly get replacement bolts?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The bolt is an M5 cap head, 18mm, most hardware stores, bike shops or online will sell you one/two.

If you have the design I think you do, you can hacksaw through the bolt in the slot where it pinches up and then remove the remains using a drill set running in reverse.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.