Tubular wheels for everyday?

white91
white91 Posts: 431
edited April 2014 in Road buying advice
I'm after a new set of deep carbon wheels, I've not really considered tubs a an option before.

With Tufo tape and sealant available, as they now almost hassle free, as well as roll better/lighter?

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    Depends where you live... if it's remote and hilly, I would definitively get some tubulars... if it's urban don't bother... if it's flat clinchers and tubs are pretty much the same thing.
    If I was living in Windermere I would only ride tubular tyres
    left the forum March 2023
  • JayKosta
    JayKosta Posts: 635
    Tubulars will never be as 'hassle free' as clinchers, but they do ride nicer and might be worth it for the enjoyment factor.
    With lightweight clinchers and inner tubes, I think the actual performance difference is small.

Even with sealant you might have to change a tubular - which means you have to carry a spare, and then you're left with NO spare. I carried 2 spares when riding tubs....., but now use clincher wheels and carry 2 inner tubes.

With inner tubes, you can do an on-road patch if you carry a small kit - tubs would be MUCH more difficult.

I wouldn't buy new tubular wheels except for all-out competition.

Jay Kosta
    Endwell NY USA
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    Sealant inside the tyre will seal 90% of the punctures, a spare tyre will fix the rest, then of course if you want to worry, there is always room for paranoia...

I think this is a fair point of view on tubs...

http://paolocoppo.drupalgardens.com/con ... e-tubulars
    left the forum March 2023
  • cal_stewart
    cal_stewart Posts: 1,840
    edited April 2014
    Just switched to tubs for everyday. Better ride, from what I've seen over the last few weekends they proved better puncture resistance (just from what I've seen riding rvv and pr). Not had to change one on the road yet but after changing one at home i would think its quicker.

Downside cost

The above link is spot on
    eating parmos since 1981

Canyon Ultimate CF SLX Aero 09
    Cervelo P5 EPS
    www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40044&t=13038799
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Well I am on tubs most of the time I have even been using them though this last winter. Rode tour of flanders on them and got a slow puncture. For over 10 miles I felt it going down and bottoming out on the cobbles when it start to squirm a bit in the corners I stopped and sorted it out. Took all of 1 minute to pop some pit stop in there and inflate with CO2. If I had a clincher I would not have been able to ride for so long on a nearly flat tyre. I just did not want to stop as I was having so much fun. Pinch flatting a tub it seems is not easy. Also the rim is less prone to damage over the rough stuff.

The ride quality and handling characteristics are just excellent. The on clinchers that have come close are 23mm Conti GP4000s on a 25mm wide rim making the tyres 26mm wide those ride nearly as well as a Vittoria Pave 24mm tyre, nearly though. Cornering grip on tubs I think is a bit better but that is hard to say with certainty as it not a controlled test. Cal you are right changing a tub at the side of the road is quicker than doing an inner tube.

Tubs are not really hassle carry at least one stretched and glued spare with some pit stop (I carry two spare tubs and a can of pitstop but I am paranoid). Punctures are quite infrequent with Pave tubs and they are easy fit as ugo says in his blog. Conti tubs are a pain to fit but they are decent as well (the gator skin sprinter make a good winter training tub). Also on tape don't bother gluing them is quite easy. A coat of glue on the rim and the tub leave over night another coat on the tub the following day and leave for 10 minutes or so then mount. The tyre will be very securely mounted once centered and inflated. I always leave 24hrs before riding. I have done it without leaving overnight e.t.c when I have been in a rush and the tyre stayed on. So not really hassle just a bit of planning.

so yes try tubs I love them and as my clincher rims wear out (already happened on one bike) I will be moving all my bikes over to tubs. Even got them on one of my MTB's for racing were a puncture means race over. Touch wood 7 races and nothing bad has happened yet to them. They seem quite robust.

The only downside to tubs is that a tub habit is quite expensive. That is the main reason why clinchers are so common place.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.