Help with setting gears up

Acidhouse
Acidhouse Posts: 19
edited June 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
Ok so first iv replaced everything including both wheels,Shimano Deore HG50 9 Speed MTB Cassette, rear derailer m952 Shimano Deore, Shimano xt hg93 9 speed chain, new mech hanger,M590 Deore 9 Speed MTB Shifters ,Cables and outers The bike is a 2014 voodoo hoodoo its only about 9 months old.
Since replacing everything I have been unable to get the gears to index correctly when the bike is on the stand it feels and looks perfect but when i try to cycle it in the middle gears it skips and jumps when i put any power into pedals or when going up hill.
I have spent many many hours (not ridden it in about 3 weeks now)messing with trying to index the gears but just can't get it to be ridable again?
I'v been following the instructions in the park tool big blue book of bicycle repair(3rd edition).

Unfortunately it is a halfrauds bike so the two times iv gone to them to get advice i have been told its my own fault for messing with it and i would have to book it in for them to repair which is exactly what im trying to avoid i really want to be able to do it myself also when i got the bike nearly everything failed and needed replaced within a week.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Read the info on setting up gears on Parktools.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    I have to ask. Why have you changed 'everything' after 9 months?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    'Halfrauds'? How droll. Why do you feel defrauded? The kit you broke in a week is fitted to millions of bikes and works just fine.
    Try going into any bike shop and ask for lessons on indexing and I would suggest most will tell you to fark off and bring it in.
    Best idea is disconnect everything and start from scratch, making sure everything is correct.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Acidhouse
    I have read the info in my park tool book so many times i could probably recite it word for word now.

well my chain snapped and took out my derailer and hanger, I have been riding all winter so cables needed changed and my back wheel wasn't straight when it was first fitted guy at halfrauds kept telling me it was close enough when i was asking for them to sort it until eventually it went and snapped.

and for the third message go troll elsewhere i asked for help not an attitude problem, and for the record i took it into Edinburgh cycles and he gave me loads of advice with a smile rather than the bad attitude i got from halfrauds, im guessing you probably work for them, you seem to have their same bad attitude and any cycle shop that tells its customers to fark off for any reason deserves to fail that is a stinking approach to customer service.
    I have lost track of how many times i have taken it apart and started again and the guy in Edinburgh cycles says everything i did looked and sounded ok and he wouldn't know unless he took it apart and did it himself so if i can't sort it i will be taking it to them simply becouse they are friendly.
  • Let the bloke at Edinburgh cycles do it , best advice when you haven't got a clue.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    So Edinburgh are friendly when telling you to book it in and Halfords aren't?

Try watching the how to guides on you tube for indexing, it's really not hard, the fact you are struggling so much suggests a basic setup issue.

The chain snapping won't take out anything else, the dérailleur or hanger failing will, I think you have it back to front.

Maybe your middle chainring is worn?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Chunkers1980
    PS - look up what a troll is too.

Also - how does a slight buckle of a wheel lead to total capitulation?
  • pesky_jones
    pesky_jones Posts: 2,890
    He says that when he went to Edinburgh he got friendly advise, and that if he couldnt do it himself (using said advice) Then he'd take it to edinburgh - because they're friendly. When he took it halfords - they gave him no advise and told him to book it in.

Fair enough I think
  • Acidhouse
    the rookie and peky jones- thankyou for a reasonable honest reply the rest of you please stop wasting oxygen and f*** off..

Wish id never bothered asking what a bunch of P****s

MOD EDIT - Enjoy a short break and come back with a different attitude!
  • Chunkers1980
    Pleasant guy.
  • If he uses that attitude in any decent bike shop it would be him having to sort it out himself. ( what a charmer )
  • Acidhouse
    The Rookie wrote:
    So Edinburgh are friendly when telling you to book it in and Halfords aren't?

Try watching the how to guides on you tube for indexing, it's really not hard, the fact you are struggling so much suggests a basic setup issue.

The chain snapping won't take out anything else, the dérailleur or hanger failing will, I think you have it back to front.

Thankyou thankyou..........
    Was my middle ring it was like a stone had gone through between it and big ring one little scratch i filed it down and has been running perfect thank you so much for your advice.
    am embaressed i never even thought of takin that apart :lol: :roll: :!:

If i was raging im sorry but like a crakheed i needed my forest fix... :oops:
  • The Rookie
    Don't be a bell end on the trails as well then......
    The Rookie wrote:
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • steelo
    steelo Posts: 542
    I sympathise with you, not for the 'banter' on here mind, but for the gears/indexing issue.

I've recently replaced my rear cassette and chain and that was enough to spoon up the shifting. I've re-indexed (a bit tricky but simple when get the hang of it) the gears and on the bike stand everything shifts sweetly. However, out on the trail it's a different matter - pedalling 'normally' and everything is fine, when I go to put some power down and kick-off, uphill or blast down hill, then that's when there is a slip. It really throws me and knocks my confidence in the bike. I'm a heavy guy and the last thing I need is for the bike to feel like it's 'giving way' under me.

I'm hoping a tweak of the cable at the shifter end will sort the problem out as I think I have the rear mech set a little too biased one way and the added tension on the chain when applying max pressure on the pedals is enough to make it slip. Either that or the middle chainring needs changing!
    Specialized Rockhopper '07
    Trek Fuel EX8 '09
  • Colinthecop
    Colinthecop Posts: 996
    Pleasant guy.

His bike is broken, you can understand his anger.... :shock:
  • Chunkers1980
    But was it?
  • IDave
    IDave Posts: 223
    Take it here for some free advice and help

http://www.thebikestation.org.uk/fyob/
  • Acidhouse
    But was it?

Was what? :?:
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Broken.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Acidhouse
    cooldad wrote:
    Broken.

No their was nothing wrong with it?

When it was on bike bike didn't work.
    When new one put on bike works?
  • The Rookie
    CD was saying nothing was broken if you read the thread!