Bike/Fork Choice

Boromedic
Boromedic Posts: 96
edited April 2014 in MTB buying advice
Hi all, I've been researching this to death and can't really decide!

I'm now living/working in the UAE and bike choice here isn't bad but the massive uplift in UK and US rrp is appalling. Even bog standard bikes in the Trek/Cannondale/Giant ranges are stupid money, I was after a Giant Roam 0 as that would do me I think but they are silly money for not so good spec. Therefore after much researching I've worked out I can get a Canyon shipped here with better spec than similar bikes for less money even including import charges! I know it's not actually a dual sport type bike but it will do it just as well as the Giant.

The only problem is I can't decide between the 2014 Yellowstone 4.9AL 29er or 2014 Grand Canyon AL29 5.9, the geometry is exactly the same, spec is almost identical bar some SLX in the gears. The real major difference and the one that's tying me in knots is the fork. The Yellowstone has an XC32 Solo Air fork whereas the GC has a 30 Gold TK 29, I know both are based on solo air and TK damping but the 30 Gold is lighter due to aluminium stanchions, plus from what I've read the 30 Gold are the new successor to the Recon Silvers which are decent forks. I like the sound of the 32mm stanchions on the XC's as they will be stiff but assume that the 30mm Alloy stanchions on the 30 golds are actually stiffer? There is little info online about the 30 Gold's as they are pretty new forks as I understand?

Does anyone have any decent info or comparisons on these bikes/forks? I'm an XC/Trail rider so I'm not ploughing down any insane hills or drops over here so think either is suitable. Just want more info before I take the plunge!

Cheers guys :-)
"I should live in salt for leaving you, behind"

Ghost HTX Actinum 29er