DI2 - Stick with DA 10 Speed or go Ultegra 11?

see.green
see.green Posts: 43
edited April 2014 in Road buying advice
Hi folks, looking to tap into your experience.

I've hit that life changing point with a new born where I need to revisit all my cycling kit. Looking to sell my beloved S5 VWD frame and replace with an R3 as most of my riding in the next couple of years will be limited to poor roads due to child care options.

Question is, do I hang onto my original DA 9070 DI2 10 speed drivetrain or make the switch to Ultegra 6870 DI2 11 speed? Only benefit I can see in switching is extra gear and internal battery option (which appeals), the DA stuff is like new and working floorlessly after 9000km and hard to justify change.

Anyone experience of both groups?

Kind Regards
Chris.

Comments

• andyk19
    andyk19 Posts: 170
    I've been thinking the same thing about my groupset, except that mine is mechanical. So would be similarly interested to see what people have to say.

As far as I can see it, Ultegra gives an extra cog, and a few other refinements but DA is lighter, and the quality is just so good.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    As you have siad there is nothing wrong with what you have why change? 1 extra cog will not make a whole lot of difference. You will not be any faster just a bit poorer. If you like what you have keep it. I keep looking at my dura ace 8 speed groupset on one bike and I have the fleeting thoughts of changing but but why it works so well.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • see.green
    Good comments guy's, glad to hear 8 speed alive and kicking!

Technology moves on, and from what I've read I'm lead to believe the current ultegra=old DA in terms of quality due to continuous improvement and trickle down, hence the call for comments and impression vs the 2 groups.

Extra cog kinda appeals to me due to riding in future more cotswold/north yorks based due to child care options with the grandparents (normally ride 11-23 here in relatively flat old warwickshire), so closer ratios but don't really know how that translates into useable range.
  • see.green
    I guess what I'm really wondering is it worth upgrading every couple of years or false economy given premium paid for top end groups unless there's a feature you really need.

Think I may have answered my OP right there!
  • DiscoBoy
    DiscoBoy Posts: 905
    I think that you should keep what you have, but I have a few points to make.

Your system is 10 speed, so you have 7970, not 9070.

A move to 11 speed will probably mean that you need new wheels, or at least a new rear hub, because 11 speed cassettes don't fit on 10 speed hubs.

7970 is not better than 6770 (10 speed ultegra) in every way. In some ways, 6770 is better: it is 2 years more modern, after all. 6870 (11 speed) is a fair bit better than 6770, so I would expect that 6870 is a nice step from 7970.

You could keep your chainset and brakes, and just change your gearset, to save on the cost of any upgrade.

There is some inter-compatibility between 6770 and 6870: so you don't need to buy all of the parts in order to upgrade. I'm not certain on the details of this, and I also think that it might be the case that 7970 can't be "upgraded" in this way. But, if you are considering upgrading, it is worth researching.

But I will go back to my original statement: it sounds like you're happy with your current setup, so save yourself the wedge and keep it ;)
    Red bikes are the fastest.
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    1 extra cog? not worth it and 10 speed stuff is now coming down in price (9 speed cassettes/chains etc are extremely cheap now). If it ain't broke don't fix it and according to another thread on the site Di2 works with both Campagnolo and Shimano so possibilities of a wheel upgrade (Boras?) with no issues.
    M.Rushton
  • I have the latest Ultegra 6870 on my Infinito CV and it is stunningly good. Gear changes are perfect as you expect but perhaps the biggest change over anything I have used before are the new dual pivot the brakes which are outstanding. Against expectations the extra cog does make a noticable difference. I think of my cassette as a nice close 11-25 10 speed with a bail out 11th 28 when I need it :)

Having said all that would I buy it if I already had older Dura Ace Di? Perhaps not, and it depends on finances obviously, but with the full 6870 groupset available online at Merlin for just a grand I'd be sorely tempted :mrgreen:
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    7970 is completely incompatible with 6770/6870 and 9070.

i've got 6870 on my best bike and it is realy really outstandingly good.... not perhaps as weight weenie light as the dura ace, but brilliant nonetheless.
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    Now if it worked with a triple it would be even better
    M.Rushton
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    philbar72 wrote:
    7970 is completely incompatible with 6770/6870 and 9070.

i've got 6870 on my best bike and it is realy really outstandingly good.... not perhaps as weight weenie light as the dura ace, but brilliant nonetheless.

This.

You need to get at least 6770 (etubes Di2) or you'll be in the sh!t when it comes to sourcing spares. Recently had to source a new harness for the 7970 on my TT bike and after scouring the world for a few days finally found it. Not ideal...
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • white91
    white91 Posts: 431
    Please let me know is you put your S5 up for sale
  • see.green
    Based on your inputs I was going the route of keeping the DA kit.

Spent this morning ringing around trying to get an R3 frame. Seems like Cervelo are prioritising full builds and no commitment on frame delivery dates until EOY. Still waiting on a couple of places to come back to me who have frames on order but only route forward might be complete ultegra R3 anyway.

white91...pm sent.
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    see.green wrote:
    Based on your inputs I was going the route of keeping the DA kit.

Spent this morning ringing around trying to get an R3 frame. Seems like Cervelo are prioritising full builds and no commitment on frame delivery dates until EOY. Still waiting on a couple of places to come back to me who have frames on order but only route forward might be complete ultegra R3 anyway.

white91...pm sent.

You're doing it wrong. You want etubes Di2.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • Bar Shaker
    Bar Shaker Posts: 2,313
    Yep, I agree with Grill. The pre eTubes Di2 is no longer supported and I think you should take this opportunity to upgrade to something with a longer shelf life.

6770 would avoid a wheel change and the parts are interchangeable with 6870, should you wish to go to 11speed in the future.
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • see.green
    Well, bit the bullet today, placed order on BMC Granfondo frame today, plan to carryover existing kit as my current internals work with the frame. Came down to funds in the end.

Conservatively would cost me £200 to switch to Ultegra after selling the DA kit + £145 for zipp hub conversion to 11 speed. Then there's replacing the turbo wheel and cassette. Will hold out for the next gen of self powered wireless group sets :)

Watch out for a 51cm Cervelo S5 VWD frame on Ebay in the next few weeks....will be kicking off at 99p!
  • ivanoile
    ivanoile Posts: 202
    mrushton wrote:
    1 extra cog? not worth it and 10 speed stuff is now coming down in price (9 speed cassettes/chains etc are extremely cheap now). If it ain't broke don't fix it and according to another thread on the site Di2 works with both Campagnolo and Shimano so possibilities of a wheel upgrade (Boras?) with no issues.

Really? :shock: I haven't noticed that.
  • see.green
    lol, picked up the BMC frame today. Holes too small for the DA 7970 harness. Opening them up will invalidate warranty, so have to upgrade (downgrade!) to Ultegra anyway. Anyone want a complete DA 7970 group set (-crank)?
  • de_sisti
    de_sisti Posts: 1,283
    see.green wrote:
    Anyone want a complete DA 7970 group set (-crank)?
    Seriously, how much?
  • DiscoBoy
    DiscoBoy Posts: 905
    De Sisti wrote:
    see.green wrote:
    Anyone want a complete DA 7970 group set (-crank)?
    Seriously, how much?

Look in the classifieds.
    Red bikes are the fastest.