Front disc rubbing

paulc33
paulc33 Posts: 254
edited April 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
Just got a 29er. With shimano disc brakes.

The front disc seems to be rubbing on the mount and making a terrible noise. Any ideas how I sort this?

New to hydraulic discs mostly road ride or has maguras before.

Also can I use any rotas with these breaks as seen some floating ones in classified I'm thinking of buying.

Thanks for help.
2015 Specialized S-Works Tarmac - Ultegra Di2 (7.0kg)
Kinesis Aithein - Ultegra mechanical (7.3kg)
Kinesis Maxlight Xc130 - xt/ xtr (11.3kg)

spin to win!

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Can't you see what it's actually rubbing on? Make sure the wheel is seated properly.

And no, just no.
  • paulc33
    paulc33 Posts: 254
    Yeah it's rubbing on the mount which bolts into the forks.

Wheel seems to be seated correctly. Il try and get some pics up soon.
    2015 Specialized S-Works Tarmac - Ultegra Di2 (7.0kg)
    Kinesis Aithein - Ultegra mechanical (7.3kg)
    Kinesis Maxlight Xc130 - xt/ xtr (11.3kg)

spin to win!
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    Do you mean the disc is rubbing on the brake pads ?

If so make sure the wheel is in straight and tightly enough done up. Then slightly release the mounting bolts for the front disc brake, pull the front brake on, tighten back up while holding the brake on and then that should have centred your brake.
  • PaullyS
    PaullyS Posts: 8
    Hi all. I'm having a similar problem with my rear disc rubbing on the pads. I understand that they should be self adjusting, but I can't get it to stop. I've tried resetting the wheel, I've pushed the pads out so that they are further apart, which worked temporarily, but as soon as I pulled the brake again it went back to rubbing. I've also done the loosening the bolts, pulling the brakes and retightening. Could it be that there's too much fluid in the pipes? Any help would be great. Thanks.
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Depends how much they rub.

A little is to be expected.

Often can be better to align the pads to the rotor by eye.

It's not too much fluid in the system.
  • PaullyS
    PaullyS Posts: 8
    If a little is normal then why doesn't the front rub? How do you align the pads? Just move them by force? I've done that one and got the wheel spinning with no friction but then when I pulled the brakes I guess it auto adjusted to rubbing again. If this is happening surely the self adjustment mechanism is faulty? This is my first bike with discs too so sorry if I am asking stupid questions. Thanks again.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    See Kajjal's post above.
    But if it's rubbing on the mount (per your earlier post) and not the pads - post a pic.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Antm81
    Antm81 Posts: 1,406
    PaullyS wrote:
    If a little is normal then why doesn't the front rub? How do you align the pads? Just move them by force? I've done that one and got the wheel spinning with no friction but then when I pulled the brakes I guess it auto adjusted to rubbing again. If this is happening surely the self adjustment mechanism is faulty? This is my first bike with discs too so sorry if I am asking stupid questions. Thanks again.

I never seem to be able to get it 100% rub free on both wheels. Quick release hubs don't help, so make sure the wheel is fully in the drop outs as that would be putting the rotor at an angle if it's not. Secondly the rotor itself might not be 100% true although may look it. I'd make sure the qr is seated in the dropouts correctly (the lever should leave a mark on your hand when closing it) then try centre the caliper again.
  • Adjust as above. I.e loosen , apply brake , tighten . However tighten slowly moving from one bolt to another. Don't overtighten either.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    Depends how much they rub.

A little is to be expected.

Often can be better to align the pads to the rotor by eye.

It's not too much fluid in the system.

This is very true, I have to set my rear disc brake by eye or it rubs. To do this do the normal adjustment first to get things close. Then undo one bolt and move so that side is in the correct position, it will only need a slight movement, then tighten bolt and do the same the other side. Doing this I get no rub front or rear. The main thing is you get plenty of braking power and modulation / feel.