Advice on upgrading my 05 ROUBAIX

chriswoodland
chriswoodland Posts: 5
edited April 2014 in Workshop
Hi all

I am considering upgrading from a 9speed triple to a 10 or 11 compact with a a mix of 105/ultegra.

Just checking before i start making any choices that this is possible with my frame as it would need a BB design change to take the hollowtech 2 chainset.

i would be replace all running gear/shifters, including some new wheels if i go for the 11sd

Any advice would be great

Chris

here is a link to specs of bike in question http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bikes/ ... iple#specs

Comments

• DiscoBoy
    DiscoBoy Posts: 905
    It sounds like you know most of what is going on. The two things you are going to come up against are that your wheels won't work with 11 speed, and that your frame is BB30.

It is possible to buy an adapter in order to use a hollowtech 2 bottom bracket with your frame. Equally, you could buy a shimano groupset and then sell the crankset and buy a BB30 one. Or you could buy your new components separately rather then as a set and just buy shimano shifters and derailleurs and a sram/fsa/other BB30 crankset. Or you could buy a SRAM groupset which comes with a BB30 bottom bracket.

Things to note:
    10 speed 105 (5700) groupsets are very good value at the moment (a little over £300). But that isn't really much of an upgrade.
    11 speed Ultegra (6800) groupsets are very good value at the moment (a little over £500). But that also requires new wheels.
    11 speed 105 groupsets are now available for pre-order and will be out soon. They also require new wheels.
    Red bikes are the fastest.
  • antfly
    antfly Posts: 3,276
    It isn't a BB30 frame, it's a Specialized Roubaix from 2005 ! Hollowtech BB should be fine.
    Smarter than the average bear.
  • DiscoBoy
    DiscoBoy Posts: 905
    antfly wrote:
    It isn't a BB30 frame, it's a Specialized Roubaix from 2005 ! Hollowtech BB should be fine.

So it is. I had just assumed that it was BB30 because of the FSA crank. :oops:

Ignore the stuff about BB30, just buy a shimano groupset and the bottom bracket that comes with it will fit fine in your frame because it is, I assume, British threaded.
    Red bikes are the fastest.
  • Thanks guys least I now no I'm going in the right direction