Warranty wheel replacement - am I getting a bad deal?

Grenouille
Grenouille Posts: 50
edited April 2014 in Road buying advice
My Spesh Roubaix Elite rear wheel is going to be replaced by lbs on warranty (hum is knackered) and he said he'll be ordering Shimano r500 as a replacement. I can't help feeling he's just picked the cheapest option available. Also, as I'm 17.5 stone I'm not sure the r500 has a high enough spoke count.
Suggestions please!

Comments

• Flambes
    Flambes Posts: 191
    20 spokes not much for a big chap like you!
    See if he's willing to give you a warranty on the new wheel, a year or so, if it fails, get another new one.
    What make is the wheel that is broken? DT 2.0?
  • Yes, DT 2.0
  • DiscoBoy
    DiscoBoy Posts: 905
    24 spokes is very very few for someone of your weight. Despite the R500 probably being better than your current wheels, that is not a suitable replacement for someone of your weight.

For everyone's reference, his current wheels are 32 spoke on the rear.

If he mentions that shimano don't put a weight limit on their wheels, tell him to foxtrot oscar, they aren't suitable.
    Red bikes are the fastest.
  • The Shimano R500 wheels are made to cope with cyclocross so will take a battering and remain true. I started using them on my commuter bike 5 years ago and have never once had a problem. When I started I weighed in at 20.5 stone and was constantly breaking 32 spoke wheels, I bought a bike that came with R500's and thought that I would use them until they broke but they never have.

As my commute is at different times to most people I am very light on the braking but of course lots of riding in darkness has meant hitting plenty of unseen potholes. Current mileage is around 20,000 miles and they have never needed truing although I weigh a lot less now (15.5 stones) the wheels have been faultless.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    Why is it not being replaced with the exact same wheel ?
  • R 500 is about the same level as what came as stock on your bike so I don't think you are getting done - but - at your weight, sell the R 500s on here as soon as you get them so they are unused and buy a set of 36 hole handbuilts. That's why I did when I was on my third warranty replacement wheels for my Sectuer - never had any problems since.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,181
    if it's warranty, it should be replaced with the same wheel as the original

aside from low spoke count, the front/rear wheels will no longer match, not the end of the world but will spoil the look a bit and may reduce value if you ever want to sell them

if you want better wheels, see if the shop will do you a (very good) deal on a pair, otherwise hold out for the correct wheel
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • on-yer-bike
    on-yer-bike Posts: 2,974
    Agree with sungod. You need a matching pair.
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    Definitely need the rear to match the front under warranty. As said above, ensure you have a pair and sell them whilst investing in a suitable pair of handbuilt wheels with strong enough components/ spoke count to suit your weight and intended use.

Be firm but reasonable with the shop. Know your rights under the Sale of Goods Act and only point out the relevant sections if they refuse to be reasonable.

PP
  • I had three sets of warranty wheels for my Secteur - each time it was because of rear wheel spoke breakages and each time I got a set (front and rear). Don't accept a single rear wheel unless it matches the front.
  • Ah no, he did say he'll replace them both. I think I'll ring him tomorrow and suggest that the spoke count is too low, see what he says. I'm just desperate to get my bike back, he's had it 3 weeks!
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    When I had wheel failure they just had the affected wheel back .... I just swapped another wheel in so I could ride :)