Suspension tuning question.

jonnyashworth
jonnyashworth Posts: 547
edited April 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
I recently swapped the Fox suspension on my Blur LT for Rockshox.
I put a set of 2013 Revelation RCT3's on the front and a 2013 Monarch Plus on the back.
It has taken a little time for me to set them up so I am happy with them but now I have ....... :D:D:D:D:D
When I run the fork and shock in the open position I am totally 100% happy however.....
When I turn them both to position 1 I find that the front and rear end aren't really balanced. The fork stiffens up the front end of the bike far more that the shock does the rear end :(:( .
Its okay If I run the shock in the closed (3rd) position and the fork in the 2nd but really want the bike to feel perfectly balance with both fork and shock set in the same positions. Can TF Tuned do anything??? and more importantly can I????
Yeti SB66c 2013

Comments

• JohnBurt
    JohnBurt Posts: 94
    You can run them in whatever position you want, if it feels ok to you that's it. If you want more low speed compression damping, i.e. a platform feel then talk to TF tuned, they will know what is possible. Which compression tune do you have and is your air can the right volume?
  • I have a low compression tune and a high volume shock.....
    The shock feels absolutely perfect.... ie when run in position 1 (open) my rear wheel tracks the ground perfectly and I utilise about 90/95% of available travel on the most aggressive descents I ride. The fork is totally balanced to the shock when set in position 1 (open) as well.

Also when I set the shock to position 2 it adds the perfect amount of damping I want for riding generally flat / slightly undulating trails.... ie my rear wheel is still mobile enough to cope with some rough stuff but there is enough resistance for me to effectively get off the saddle and put some power down. However when set in position 2 the forks have too much compression added :( this makes for an unbalanced bike.

In position 3 the shock is still mobile on big hits etc but is stiff enough for me to sprint up a fire road.

I spoke to TF Tuned yesterday..... Sadly there is little they can do as I don't want to mess with the shock as I am 100% happy with it and they will struggle to lower the damping in position 2 and to some extent position 3 on my forks. :(:(

Just have to learn to live with it.......
    Yeti SB66c 2013
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    maybe change the oil viscosity in the forks to something a bit thinner then dial in a bit more LSC in open mode to compensate while the second and third click should be less damped because the oil is thinner.

how much sag are you running?
  • around 27%
    Yeti SB66c 2013